Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MCP, Linux+ or Cisco CCNA?

It's a gas!

MCP Win 2k, Linux+ or Cisco CCNA?

Ive been offered to do any of the above for free.
    Any suggestions?

They're all good certs. I have the CCNA and MCP. I would say that is depends an what type of work you want to do. Personally, my CCNA has been a bigger benefit and I learned a lot more about how networks actually function from studying for it. The MCP is good, but the market is overrun by people who have Microsoft certs and don't know how to tie their shoelaces. I'm considering the Linux+ too, but I dont know how well respected it is or hard the test is. Good Luck on whichever one you choose!
    -NeuTron

what would really help is telling us what you would like to do.
    MCP - manage windows 2000 servers and clients in a corporate LAN
    Linux+ - manage linux servers such as web, mail, dns, ftp
    CCNA - learn how to effective configure a network and use cisco routers

Honestly I would have to say go for the CCNA. I earned the CCNA less than a year ago. I believe it is extremely valuable to have, just because now I know more about networks, and how they are set up with Cisco routers, switches and bridges. Some people only know how a computer works and they never even think of how information is passed from one system to another. I am also going for a BA degree in Computer Networking, so I guess my push toward CCNA will be higher. Just like wassup said though it'll depend on your interest overall. Besides if you're getting a class for free, then it's not much of a loss whichever way you look at it anyway. I hope this will help you in a decision, but take what you think you will get the most out of for yourself. If Linux+ is more interesting to you take it....that way you'll get the most out of the course than with a course you are not willing to devote all your attention.

AO's Mr Grumpy
    I can only give you a student perspective on the CCNA, which I am doing at present, as it is a component part of our Communications Technology degree. I am assuming it will be work or gov funded, and you will be enrolled as a student with the Cisco Networking Academy Program , which is done on-lline, and your practical labs at a local college.I find it enjoyable, spending one full day a week on it, plus on-line at home. I find it quite demanding in the physical sense, as I don't like totally on-line studying , too easy to get distracted, surfing etc, and gets boring after a while. I would recommend getting the companion guide also, as it follows the course, and is easy to refer to, and is a break from the screen
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

I would say CCNA. You would get more out of the training involved. MCP is just passing one Microsoft test and that isn't saying much. CCNA has some good general networking stuff too. Take the CCNA and study for the Windows 2k or XP test on your own. I can't speak for linux plus, I have not taken that.
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563

Thumbs up Definately CCNA

I have to pitch my 2c in and say that the CCNA is a much more valuable course than any MCP (or MSCE) style course.

I have done half of both the MSCE and CCNA above over the years and I've gone back to complete the CCNA as it is so much more useful in my line of work. (Infrastructure Support in case your interested).

BTW I'm not a MS basher but I don't really think that the MCP is worth much against a good CCNA.... (different fields though...)

Cheers,
    R.

Go for the most expensive one, then do the others after. I think the CCNA is probably one of the cheaper ones. My CCNA only cost around 80 CDN because Cisco gave me a 50% voucher for passing the Network Academy. Do whichever of the three you enjoy to do more.

I'd pick CCNA, but thats just me! MCP's seem to be a dime a dozen. Unfortunately CCNA's seem to be heading that way also.

I would have to say the CCNA would be the best course of action. It will give you a good networking base, and it looks better on a resume than an MCP. Like NeuTron said, most people who have MCP's can barely tie their shoes *lol*. One course of the MSCE is hardly enough to call you a qualified tech.

CCNA could get in as a WAN engineer if you could get that coupled with MSCE or the Linux+, but you might have to pay for those, but trust me, in the professional world, its quite worth it when you're talking about the dollars and cents.
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

It's a gas!
    Well i think its conclusive!
    Cheers for your thoughts everyone...