Thread: Microsoft says "Protect Your PC"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Question Microsoft says "Protect Your PC"

I was reading today's Toronto Star (paper edition) and noticed an ad on page A16 by Microsoft. It's entitled "Protect Your PC" and lists the following:

Microsoft is concerned about improving your computer's security and is committed to helping protect your PC from the latest viruses, as well as from future threats. Microsoft and leading industry partners are working toerther to help protect your PC from these malicious attacks. Please do your part, go to www.microsoft.ca/protect and follow these steps today.
    1. Use a firewall, like the Internet Connect Firewall already in Windows XP

2. Use Microsoft Windows Update to get and keep your PC up-to-date.

3. Install antivirus software and ensure it's up-to-date.
    Interesting to say the least. I've never seen a private company do this before. I decided to check it out and noticed it has an option to "Do it for you" (which is of course recommended). I can't do it because of our firewall. Anyone brave enough to see what MS sets and what info they get back from people who do follow this route?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I decided to check it out and noticed it has an option to "Do it for you" (which is of course recommended). I can't do it because of our firewall. Anyone brave enough to see what MS sets and what info they get back from people who do follow this route?
    Unfortunatly I found that this option is only available if you use XP - I had a test-box at home I was going to try it out on, but its running Win98se atm so I didn't have that option, sorry...

RRP

We have the same thing at: http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/default.asp

The steps and process look pretty simple. I'm going to send this link to our users. If the site does what is described in the steps on the "do it for me" button, there should be no damage.

BTW, MsMittens, thanks for this post.