Thread: what next?

what next?

ok... im wanting to learn alot of hacking and security with linux... as we speak im downloading mandrake. over the weekend i was grounded (damn parents) so i had alot of time on my hands, so i read a complete c++ tutorial, so as of right now i have a general understanding of c++ when it comes to the syntax and everything. ive had linux before so i am a little comiliar with it. ok, so i made the move to linux, i generally understand c++, what should i learn now, if im wanting to learn to hack with linux?

thanks
    the man who knows how will always have a job, but the man who knows why will always be his boss!

wrong question

Perhaps you should rethink your post. This is a security website, or a community moreso where you can gain information to help secure your computer and network. Asking how to hack with linux is not necessarily a good way to get started.

If you would like to learn the fundamentals of Linux I suggest you go to the tutorials forum, as I'm sure there will be lots of helpful information there for you to look at!

Perhaps you should rethink your post.
    well, i think he should more *rephrase* his post than rethink it...however, if you are saying exactly what you mean, read the FAQ...

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

rethink, rephrase same difference

hows that for an oxymoron! yeah you got me though!

What is your end goal? "Hacking with linux" would not be an acceptable answer to the question either. I might be able to point you in the right direction but i would need to know exatly what you want to learn. This is, if you actually know what your goal is. If you dont know what your goal is, thats fine but you will be getting much more generic help.
    -NeuTron

going onto a forum and asking how to hack is going to get you flamed, but here on AO we try not to do that so as was said before, rephrase your post, and ask more security oriented questions, just don't ask "how do i hack" people will look down on you.
    speak your mind becuase those who matter don\'t mind and those who mind don\'t matter

Elite Hacker
    I would say read this: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=249819
    Then you should be able to set up a bunch of computers after obtaining them. Make your own network installing several diff. operating systems. I would use several diff distros of linux,
    As many diff windows OS's as you can get your hands on, throw the bsd's on there too. You should probably try a few macs too even though no one ever says that when they do this same speech. Then go to town on all of them from one another, and if you find a way to get into one, plug it up.

You can't just say "so how do I hack now that I have open sourced software." You can 'hack' with anything. And hacking is a stupid term anyways; it is used way too damn much. If you want to learn how to get into another computer though, learn about everything that is stopping you from doing that.

'Hacking' is a skill learned after much much education in the field of how things work with computers. Start small and work up to your end result. Learn about networks, ports, firewalls, servers, differant OSes, Logging, and how to actually configure Linux (just because you installed it doen't make you immortal). The biggest thing though, have a thirst to learn about anything, no matter how triviel it is.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Anybody remember when the word "hacking" meant something....?
    "Hacking" a few years ago might have been qualified as MIT nerds making a new encryption algorithm...
    "Hacking" today equates to someone running a TweekUI that they downloaded and cleaning their registry....

How things change yes?
    Everything that starts off sacred turns commercial with time I guess the lesson is.
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.