Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, router problems at college

Help, router problems at college

Ok heres the problem... I jus moved into college and I jus started back up playing Ultima online.. when i played before i didnt lag at all.. but now i lag an im 99% sure its because of the firewall that the colleges router uses...... Now i was wondering if there was any program? or any settings i could change on my computer that could maybe make this game lag less?? Im thinking no since i dont have access to the router, but maybe im missing something so any help?
    i am the needle in your vein
    i am the high you can\'t sustain
    i am the pusher, i\'m a whore
    i am the need in you for more
    i am the bullet in the gun ( and i control you)
    i am the truth from which you run ( and i control you )
    i am a silencing machine ( and i control you )
    i am the end of all your dreams ( and i control you )

JÄ(\\/)鎲 ¼

Hi Jamez,

Ask the college to put your machine in the DMZ.

Dont expect a great response though - They usually dont like people playing games over there bandwidth!!

Cheers
    V$D$
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

The firewall is probably there for a reason - to stop people using the network resources for playing games. Now, you could ask the admins nicely, as VicE$DoS$ suggested, to put your site in the DeMilitarised Zone (DMZ), which should lift the firewall restrictions.

The more routers/switches you go through, the more your game will lag because of the work that the devices have to do to send your packets to the right destination - although it shouldn't really be noticeable.

Basically, speak to the admins at your college, see if they can help. If not then there's nothing you can do -
    you don't have a right to play games at college in the first place.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Unless that firewall is so heavily overloaded that it can't handle the traffic it isn't going to be the firewall - it's the network itself. Just because the connection you used to use was good for your game doesn't mean that the one you use now will be equally able.

Either way there isn't going to be a darned thing you can do about it because your college isn't going to upgrade their infrastructute so you can play a game...... Sorry, that's one of those little facts of life that your experience at college should teach you - they just use an interesting example to drive that point home......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Unless that firewall is so heavily overloaded that it can't handle the traffic it isn't going to be the firewall - it's the network itself. Just because the connection you used to use was good for your game doesn't mean that the one you use now will be equally able.
    Could be the firewall/router is throttling certain traffic or limiting bandwidth on a per user basis to ensure 'vital' services or ok - Services like the admins conterstrike connection

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Note to self: Drink entire first cup of coffee at 6:00 am before pontificating.......

Yeah, that's could be it too Steve.... Er, just testing to see if you had finished your coffee yet......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Yeah, that's could be it too Steve.... Er, just testing to see if you had finished your coffee yet......
    No worries - I'm onto my third coffee & I've had 1 tea so far

Oh & 1 Lemsip

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Hmm.. is it possible to connect througt the firewall with a program thats grabs bandwith and keeps the line floating steady.

Maybe you can connect to one of your friends pc outside the network.

If the firewall is configured so it has a max bandwith per user that too isnt possible!

The admins are surely tired of the slow network jamez creates if they been monitoring the computers!!
    [gloworange]Thor Valø[/gloworange]
    74 68 65 65 6f 6e

I agree with Steve. But to verify that, have you tried to download a file from the internet? What type of download speeds do you receive? If you get a high download rate then chances are there is a bandwidth management device such as Allott or Packeteer on the network to limit bandwidth to ports which are not of importance to the college. If you get a slow download rate then chances are the college just has a crappy internet connection.
    Os1LaYr5

School networks are set up to prevent stuff like this. If you are playing a game on the school grounds (i.e. a LAN with your roomate or the guy down the hall) you aren't going to be hated too much by the admins. But if you try to send things through their router, then they start getting pissed off. If you care to test this, set up an apache server with a few gigs of data and see how long you can keep your resnet account.

Most of the ports arn't blocked at college, but they are filtered. They filter the ports that they have found in the past and that currently are pushing out a lot of bandwidth. Usually the P2P ports. Ways to get through this is to tunnel your programs through other ports (port 80 will never be closed). This might slow you down some though.

Another thing is what time you are engaging in your activites. If you want to play at 2 or 3 when everyone is getting out of class, then go figure, everyone is on thus bandwidth is low. Work later or earlier. Don't ask the admins that actually work at the college because they are just going to laugh at you. You can talk to some of the students that work in that department and they might give you some insight about the school's network.

Finally remember, the admins take great joy in banning bandwidth hogs, and they take even more joy in waiting to reconnect that person back up to the network.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-