Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learning hardware...

the way i learn hard ware assembling was by trial and error method , umay try this but make sure that u r all dry and not a single drop of water falls on the mother board as u may short circut it ( which i accidently did in this summer and it is still waiting to be repaired )

books r a neat way to lerning hard ware but u need to use ur own intelligence in innovation
    ;-)

don't be afraid of messing up the coputer, remember you learn more from doing things wrong. Practices makes the master.

Originally posted here by tejaswyappalla

LOL

hi there,
    i had no any knowlage about computers 11 months ago, exept they have mouse,keyboard monitor and box next to them. Well i decided to buy a computer and i asked one of my friends (computer wizz) to come with me and show me what to buy as i had no idea. He sugessted to me to go to computer swap and buy parts and he will put it together for me.like this we can pick any parts we like and it will be cheaper few fundreds dollars.
    so we did one sundey and he put it together in 1 and a half hours.To tell you that i was impressed would be understatment.
    When i saw thet he put it together in short time i got really really interested to do it myeslf.
    I am tertiary educated and had approach that if he can do it i wopuld be able to do it myself.
    I got one old computer from work.hired some books from library and i was on the mission.I dismantled everything in mieces and put it together again.Of course didnt work after lol.
    So after so many calls to my friend i started to gewt better.As the other people suggested it is so many sites which actually show you in pictures to build computer from scrach.
    I found too which noone mentioned yet that you can benefit greatly if you join computer clubs.
    They have special interest groups and they have hardware groups and they teach you and show you how to do it or help you if you get stuck half way.You can bring your pc in parts on this meetings.
    So i strongly recomend to you to join any pc club.Nice fun and heeps experience guys to learn from all willing to do it for free.
    You can buy lot of this books how to build or how to upgrade for a few dollars in bookshops.
    Enjoy it as i do it is lot of fun. I never imagined 12 months ago that i would help build computers to my friends
    good luck

GreekGoddess
    This site wouldn't be bad to start out with either:

http://www.footefamily.org/train/howdo.htm

In my personal experience as a technician, i work primarily around hardware.. and i have NEVER picked up a manual or instruction book on a piece of hardware with the intention to learn anything from it. except in cases of jumpers with mainboards etc....

Everything i learnt, i did by listening to ppl above me like my boss etc, and learning from my own mistakes...

The best thing for you to do as a newbie... is get an old 486x machine..... something thats broken or isnt worth much
    pull it apart slowly (unplug devices and ram etc) and remember where they go what they look like. put it back together etc... and just learn from mistakes... generally these are cables arent pushed in far enough of a pin is bent...

i know this sounds a lil rough, but in the end its the most effective way of learning.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=249524

some of my friend learn through internet, some said they just assemble the pc through those instruction manual... now i'm in teritary education... learning IT stuffs like website stuffs like html, css, dhtml, javascript... and some programming skills basic level java, c++. and networking..

i was really curious about how computers works (especially security things... )... i love programming my own applications... how data in transfer across networks... but what a shame an IT student doesn't even know how to assemble his machine...

i think i would grab a old A+ book that would cost cheaper and make it as a reading material for me to learn technical terms... to plug in things in out and putting it back it's fairly simple just remember how it is slotted in the cables attach. i was scared to make my machine blow

is there sites that teaches you things like what to look out for if you want to buy a new gfx card or hdd blah blah...

this holiday gonna start learning CCNA

hmm.. there's something i notice... why does software geeks doesn't really interested in hardwares???

I learned hardware over a long period of time, mostly trial and error. Over that time, I have made a lot of mistakes, and I have ruined a lot of good parts. It was a good learning experience, yet costly. Eventually, I took a course at UNM that covered hardware and basic DOS structure. Although I had already taught myself the majority of what this class had to offer, I did learn something new.

What I learned, is that Sybex makes, by far, the best books available. While costly, they are VERY detailed, and VERY easy to understand. I highly recommend buying 'The Complete PC Upgrade & Maintenance Guide' by Mark Minasi, published by Sybex. This is an invaluable tool that I use whenever I'm stumped.

The Sybex website can be found at http://www.sybex.com/

Tutorial

Hi everyone,

I'm working as a PC- system engineer, and still working on a tutorial in english about "how to assemblate a pc". I wrote it in Dutch my language already.
    Gimme just some time.

Greetz,
    Me

Ps: You have any questions about hardware or something? Just ask me in a private message or somehting