Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's my real IP?

Antionline Herpetologist

Question What's my real IP?

I just got this new LAN connection to the net. Basically, my new ISP gets a leased line and divides it among the users using a switch. He's also using a bandwidth-limiting software (which I guess is some kind of a proxy) that limits the bandwidth to 64 kbps. Ipconfig shows me the following:

Windows IP Configuration
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 90.0.0.72

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 90.0.0.1

My question is how do I find out what my IP on the Internet is as 90.0.0.72 is obviously the internal LAN IP. For example, if I were to have a web server on my computer, what address should I tell people to go to?

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Go to www.whatismyip.com

It will tell you your true ip... or the ip that your proxy is using.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

if you use a proxy, www.whatismyip.com may not work.

Try doing a simple: C:/netstat -a

and then the ip address to the left is yours, regardless if you use a proxy or not.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Antionline Herpetologist
    Phishphreak: That whatsmyip.com IP is the IP of the proxy, which isn't what i want. What I want is the IP that another guy on the net, say you, would use to access my computer.
    WebCarnage: I already tried a netstat -a, and it shows 90.0.0.72 as my IP.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

interesting configuration,

perhaps you should try a site like shields up and see what ip it thinks you have.
    or
    send a file to someone using p2p, and get them to netstat -an, and see if your ip shows up.
    or?
    quiery the gateway router and try to get the ip's of the interfaces open.
    just a thought...
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

When I used to have this problem I would just sign onto IRC and do a /dns <my nick> without the <> of course and that usualy gave me the correct Ip. Not sure if it will work of you but has for me in the past
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

cgkanchi,

Go to Start/Run ant type "command" to open dos "DOS" prompt (i think you already know this reading above). There type "ipconfig" and the first address under the second Ethernet adaptor is your IP for Internet in that moment.

Hope it helps you.

Bye.

The ip address given by myipaddress.com is what others on the internet see you as. To reach your computer they would have to find a way through or arround it to get to your internal machine. Depending on what kind of trafic the proxy, router or firewall lets in would be the first step to determining the way into the internal network.

zip2dip

Post Whats your IP

I read your post !
    I had an thought on the true IP of yours. The info that you gave is an DNS type IP suffix.How ever from reading your subnet mask numbers which puts you to be in the same network segment as your DNS Suffix.So your networking IP addres for your "puter"has to be in the same range as long as your LAN is not behind an NAT.In your starting DNS IP Suffix which you are stateing to be 90.0.0.72<--DNS IP in your case.With subnet mask 255.255.255.0 <--- Which is not subneted in your LAN case.In this case i think your ISP has asigned an Dynamic DNS server to obtain IP's for your network DNS.Anyhow your true IP Suffix is in this range 90.0.0.2 to 90.0.0.254 which are dynamicly set trugh your DHCP server in your LAN case that would be your 90.0.0.1 IP.The last octate that is nr 1 is usually your Gateway/DHCP.With the Win2000 server there is 2 ways that you can obtain your true IP one is from your DHCP the other is tru your DNS server see fig. Under Example1http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...abilityDns.htm
    So there fore what you can do is to get your true IP look up your computer hostname.Ex. in command prompt in win9x type, winipcfg or ipconfig/ALL or in win2000 command type ipconfig/ALL then look at your Computer Host name..Then again at prompt type in your computer host name yada.yada.somefing and ping it EX--> c:\>ping yada.yada.somefing <Enter>
    to get saying this
    pinging yada.yada.somefing [0.0.0.0]<----Your true IP

er0k
    Originally posted here by Spyrus
    When I used to have this problem I would just sign onto IRC and do a /dns <my nick> without the <> of course and that usualy gave me the correct Ip. Not sure if it will work of you but has for me in the past
    if you do that on a ptlink/hybrid irc with services it gives you your masked ip, so that wouldnt work. However on an irc without masked hosting, all you need to do is type /whois nickhere it gives you the same results.... the /dns command works the same way except for only giving you your ip not time of connection etc.. even though thats off topic... basically i agree with whomever said that above about netstat -an and sending the file, that would work yes. you can write scripts fairly easily or download scripts that go through all that and give your ip.. google it if you want more information. dunno, ask someone who knows more about bandwidth uncapping and they will surely be able to tell you how to figure it out with that type of setting. I guarendamntee you however that your gateway contains the correct information. so find the ip of that, and scan it for broadcasts, see which one has the same activity in which you have going down, and thatll tell you.