Thread: create your own packetshaper??

Question create your own packetshaper??

Most of you have probably heard of or seen a Packeteer . Now some of you have had the pleasure of using a packeteer. What I want to know is if there is a way to avoid the high costs of purchasing a packeteer and creating my own.

I dont want to invest very much money into this at all but I would like to use one of my existing computers (install any flavor of OS...ie. linux, windows...etc) I want the ability to both see what kind of traffic is going on in my network and on the same note I also want to be able to limit traffic, use it to help block ports, and stop different forms of traffic.

Background info:

This will be used in my home network
    I can have a dedicated machine to do this
    I would prefer it to run like this cable modem>router>packet machine>switch>internal network
    or modem>shaper>router>internal network

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

If you say you will use any OS... then linux already has free solutions...

http://svana.org/kleptog/Packet-Shaping-HOWTO.html
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

D4mn man that is one hell of a route. What kind of network are you running? And How many computers do you own?
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Originally posted here by Lansing_Banda
    D4mn man that is one hell of a route. What kind of network are you running? And How many computers do you own?
    As I had said it is just a home network but I have a webserver and a win2k server within the network and then 2 windows boxes I use for fun. Gaming and IRC and all my fun internet stuff. So far phishphreek's way seems to be pretty much right on. Let me know if there are other ideas.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here