Government Job?!?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Government Job?!?!

Question Government Job?!?!

I have a chance to go back to work for the Government. It would be part time. . . . and I would come back as just a regular employee making $12 - $15 an hour. When I was laid off. . . I was one of the supervisors and was making manager level 1 pay. $48K a year. I would love to go back. . . . but what keeps holding me back is the fact that I would be working under people that I worked over for a long time. Im not sure how that would work out. I don't know what to do.

Currently I work for a small security company and only make $5.55 hour. Yeah. . . I know it sucks. . . but this was the only company that actually contacted me back out of the 15 applications and Resume's I sent in. And my unemployment was about to run out. So I took it.

Should I go back to the Government? Im confused. . . . . . Give me some feedback please.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Banned
    Yeah that would be weird man. But think about it like this.

First were you a good Boss.

If so it won't matter and second do you need the cash. If so, sometimes you pride has to take a fall for your Wallet.

Just me 2 cent.

I say go back until you get something better.

Well. . . . . I droped by where I use to work today. . . just to check on everyone. . . and a few of them ask me to come back too. Even one of the managers was asking me to come back. I left on good terms and a lot of people were pissed when I was laid off. I would be welcomed back with open arms. . . yes. And yes I do need the money. I have 2 cars to pay off. . . insurance. . . . medical bills from where I am Diabetic. . . . and a shitload of other bills.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Banned
    Take it man, it will feel a little odd. But you left on good terms and you never know you might end up back in your old job or a better one.

I think you should take it. You have friends there and no Bad terms. It should be pretty much the same, just you are in a lower job this time.

Well then what the hell are you doing?

Go get the job back.

I'm sure that eventually, you'll work your way back up to being the boss again.
    =

I'd agree with Whizkid and Cheyenne... look at it this way.. the pay you're on now sucks major time - I'm sorry but it does. The government job pays approx 2-3 times your current salary - from that point alone its better.

As Whiz says if you were a good boss the people above you will remember that... take advantage of it - you may be able to climb the ladder a damn site quicker than previously.

really - don't hesitate

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Im real good friends with one of the current managers too. She is supose to e-mail me when she gets a chance. . . give me some info on things if I want to come back. Im seriously thinking about it now.

Banned
    personially i woul take it...as you say you have bean there b4 giving you an above nolage of internal going one. thus this position that thay have offered you may well only be temparary untill thay can see you can handal the other position again.. or simler..

it cant hurt. ppl wont you to come back there and you need the money, so it cant hurt to go back and give it a try. i dont no about where you are but over hear in AUSTRAILA thay say if you get a job in government you have one for life.
    Just a thought.
    any how if you go back and you dislike it you could all ways stay there untill you find your self a better job...that way atleast yourhaving an income and it lookes better if you say your working in government!!!

Nightfalls_Girl

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Dude,

As a fed, (I work for the Post office), I'd advise you to come back, take the pay and bennies, get the retirement. Moonlight in whatever interests you.

Plus if the government swells in size again, you'll be ready to move up.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Hehe. You make it sound so good fourdc.