P2P Detection
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P2P Detection

P2P Detection

I'm on a network that somehow limits P2P bandwidth seperate from other downloads. I was wondering what the process would be to detect if something was coming from P2P or from regular internet.

It's based on the port number that the traffic is passing on. The network admin has set a higher bandwidth limit for ports 80,53,25,21,143. These are ports being used by most businesses. All the rest will fall into a low priority catagory.

If you changed the port number your p2p app works on, to say port 80, you'd see a big improvement in the speed.

Hope that helps.

--PuRe www.pureescape.net
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Well I can tell you one way for sure. If your site admin is running Websense with the protocol analyzer package, this is one of the options. Changing ports wouldn't help out because it looks at the protocols and uses hueristics to generate hits. PSSSST!!! Guess who is the Websense admin for his site?
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Caught red handed.

lol
    =

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Don't mess with SysAdmins, they are cranky, crabby, old and smelly - and easy to anger.......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

lol
    "Don't deal with wizards, their are crafty and prompt to anger."

Wasn't he Tolkien who wrote those words? He had already understood everything about sysadmins.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

OK.... I stole the concept... But I added the important things....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Don't mess with SysAdmins, they are cranky, crabby, old and smelly - and easy to anger.......
    I take offence to that..........

I'm not old.

RRP

BP: If you are cranky, crabby and smelly then I have to claim that I am 75% right....

Bear in mind, you didn't deny the other three....

Nope - I don't deny the other 4... (at least not today as I'm in good mood)

I'm often told that I'm crabby or cranky - giving they normally use a word starting with 'A' ending with 'hole' to discribe this better... I'm quite short tempered when it comes to people messing with or misusing the network...

And well, you work 70hrs+ a week and only take at most 1 day off a month and occasionally sleep in your office - and I'll bet you get called smelly from time to time also

(Although don't get me wrong, I just keep a bar of deodorant and some cologne handy for those occasions)

RRP