Thread: fax modem issues or is it XP?

fax modem issues or is it XP?

for the life of me in cannot figure this one out. but here goes.

lucent (agere) data/fax modem (original equiptment)
    creative v.92 data/fax modem
    XP professional (completely updated)

using windows built in faxing software, i am able to send a fax with no problems whatsoever. just this morning i sent a 7 page fax using the lucent modem. however when i need to receive one i cannot. the modem will answer and begin the process but will give me an error message saying that an error occured and cannot continue.

i have tried both modems. both are able to send but not receive. i have checked the required services, all are enabled and set to automatic. i have tried the latest modem drivers and the original drivers, neither driver makes a difference. i have removed and reinstalled the fax software with no luck in fixing the problem. i searched google and other sites but couldnt find anything specific to my issue. if anyone has any suggestions or ideas your help is greatly appreciated.

hi,
    i had same problem but i have used my pc just to send fax (successfully) not to receive it.
    But remember in setting this in xp was something about if you have call waiting or phone secretary you would have problems to receive fax.
    Go to start , help and support and in index click receiving and sending faxes and you will have instructions how to configure setting properly.Hope this help
    good luck

what software are you using , version. And what is the number or code of the messege. You could try searching www.google.com for that error message and see what results it gives you.

there is no error number. just simply "an error occured while receiving the fax" ... nothing specific about it in the microsoft knowledge base either. however after about 2hrs searching google newsgroups and other places i have found i am not alone. seems countless others are having the same issue. i have tried manual answer and auto answer, nothing seems to work. same error everytime.

one poster said that this would happen if the modem i am using isnt listed in the microsoft XP modem/driver list. could this be the problem? but it dont seem like it would matter as long as my modem/driver are xp compatible. others say it is a problem with SP1 and that fax worked fine before SP1.

----------------

Microsoft Fax Console

version 5.1 SP1