Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ftp

ftp

anybody know of some free secure ftp servers for windows?

No, but did you try a Google for "free secure ftp servers for windows"?

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Try this, you may find what you are looking for, from the various links given

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/..._20729832.html

also do a Google search for free ftp servers
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Elite Hacker
    Just use redhat, it comes with vsftp which supports sftp. I'm trying to find one for windows but I can't seem to find a free one. Sorry.

edit
    here's a good link, these start at $599
    http://www.hallogram.com/secureshell/

I use 150m.com .. not really a FTP server but I host my webpage there and since its allowed it becomes a FTP every once in a while if I host some files for my friends..
    [pong][shadow]Why won\'t anyone give me greenies???[/shadow] [/pong]

Do you mean a FTP file server to run on your machine and share your files I presume...

I personally use Serv-U FTP Server, and because I have ADSL [dynamic IP] I got a DNS router from www.dyndns.org and the DirectUpdate engine to automatically update my IP address as it is changed... all of these work perfectly, and as for security I haven't heard of many exploits for the newer versions of Serv-U [but some probably exist, don't flame me if you get hijacked ]

Hope this helps...
    /\\

hypronix, do you have a domain name? I am curious, I want to set up an apache server from my college so that I can get files if I am away from my com. Problem is that I don't want ot buy a domain. I have an account with dyndns that I haven't really put to any use. Could you tell me your layout exactly with everything?
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    www.webattack.com has alot of servers for windows. From freeware, shareware to commercial. Amongst all that, there is a large variety of ftp servers.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Originally posted here by Lansing_Banda
    hypronix, do you have a domain name? I am curious, I want to set up an apache server from my college so that I can get files if I am away from my com. Problem is that I don't want ot buy a domain. I have an account with dyndns that I haven't really put to any use. Could you tell me your layout exactly with everything?
    Well I'm not sure about Apache and how that would work, but I see no problem in the end... you haven't specified whether you're using a dynamic or static IP connection. If the case be the latter, just enter your IP information in your account under the appropriate category [static IP]. If it is dynamic, you'd be better off getting an automatic updater [DirectUpdate, which I already mentioned, works well on Windows, while for Linux I guess ther should be something too, I didn't look for anything], but you can do it by hand everytime your IP changes. Just enter the appropriate info under the dynamic IP section of the dyndns.org account.

Next, the details of your server will be ftp://chosenName.chosenHost.ext and optionally the port number... I assume you know how to use a FTP account

Reply or PM me for further info if you need any...

Originally posted here by hypronix

Well I'm not sure about Apache and how that would work, but I see no problem in the end... you haven't specified whether you're using a dynamic or static IP connection. If the case be the latter, just enter your IP information in your account under the appropriate category [static IP]. If it is dynamic, you'd be better off getting an automatic updater [DirectUpdate, which I already mentioned, works well on Windows, while for Linux I guess ther should be something too, I didn't look for anything], but you can do it by hand everytime your IP changes. Just enter the appropriate info under the dynamic IP section of the dyndns.org account.

Next, the details of your server will be ftp://chosenName.chosenHost.ext and optionally the port number... I assume you know how to use a FTP account

Reply or PM me for further info if you need any...
    I just setup a Windows FTP server using a opensourge FTP server called Filezilla, a great product, and its been working since. It's Free. You can download that from http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla, it also has a great FTP client