Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are there so few women in Linux?

"For example, while 53% of the male computer science freshman rated themselves as highly prepared for their CS courses, 0% of the female CS freshman rated themselves similarly. But at the end of the year, 6 out the 7 female students interviewed had either an A or B average. Objective ratings (such as grade point averages or quality and speed of programming) don't agree with most women's self-estimation. "

Quick story...I walked into one of my first programming classes; a packed lab...it was the first day, and I quickly looked around and sat down at the back of the room. The professor walked in, took attendance, and started the class. To my horror, he started telling blonde jokes about midway through the lecture...and everyone was laughing and looking over at me! There were two other women in the class but I was the only blonde. I was there with the same intentions as my male peers, yet I left the class hiding the fact that I was crying. I switched classes the next day. My professor did not know the impact that had on me...from his perspective, he was just telling a few jokes.

Since then my self-confidence has grown. I've realized that what I needed all along was a little self-confidence. There are so many women and men within the online community, as well as physically around us, who are more than willing to teach enthusiastic females, and males alike. I don't get any special treatment as a woman; I'm expected to ask intelligent questions [after I've looked for the answer myself], and I'm appreciative of that...it has helped shape me into a better programmer/linux user.

That's not cool. My older brother had a similar experience.. But his was just as bad as yours. When he went to college to be a chemical technician or something like that. On his first day of school the teacher started pointing people out , and telling them that they would fail the course. My brother just happened to be one of them. My bother even told me that the teacher had the guts to tell him after class when no one heard him.. That since he was Hispanic he would fail the class or would end out dropping eventually. My brother took it into his hands to prove the teacher wrong and he did he ended up getting one of the highest marks in the class. And now he works for a really good company here where we live in Canada called ComDev. There a big company that designs and are a manufacturer of space hardware subsystems. My girl cousin also had the same treatment once in awhile getting picked on cause she was a girl and cause she's hispanic. It can be kinda hard on you as a person. But we learned that people like that are just plain ignorant. They do not know what they dont understand....
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Or they don't what to know about what they don't understand. . .
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    *thread moved to GCC*

One thing that many might be missing is why aren't their more women in computers in general (nevermind linux -- in order to get them to use Linux, they have to be interested in computers in general). The number of women signing up for college/university computer courses seems to be dropping again. This semester there is 1 other woman in my classes besides me (the classes are about 14-16 students). That's pretty disheartening.

Women today are given more opportunity to use computers and it's part of the curriculum here. But why aren't they interested? I think, entirely supposition, it might be because of the stigma of the "geekiness" of computers and perceived isolation nature of computers. The idea of the BOFH makes the position a stand-offish kind of thing. The reality is that women tend to be good communicators. Which puts them in a good position as a network manager or the like that requires interaction -- good interaction -- with users.

Anyways... food for thought..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

First, I'd like to say that I really didn't intend my first post to be male-bashing, and if anyone perceived it that way, I apologize.

I think that firefemme brought up a good point...how many of the men here have left a class crying? That is one of the things that makes women stay out of the field, or drift out of it once they start. We (as much as it pisses me off ) tend to be more easily influenced by crappy treatment like that. Whereas a male would brush it off and go on, we tend to internalize things like that, and as much as we'd like to say screw it, he's just an ass, it's harder for women to do that.

And I'm not sure it has anything to do w/ being brought up to "cook and clean", that's definately not the way my parents raised me, as it does with the fact that more women are brought up to do what we do quietly and w/out a lot of fanfare and w/out a lot of notice. It's hard to do that when you're the only girl in a class, or in an office, doing your job. You automatically attract attention.

The first time I interact w/ a strange male, it's always a game of push and pull to see where each other stands. Determine the playing field, what can we discuss with equal interest? Then it comes down to who can dominate the conversation, in public anyway. The thing that pisses me off is that a lot of women can interact in the same ways, they know how the game works, they play it with their girlfriends, but they don't and cry lack of leverage b/c those guys that give us a bad name like to use their 'physical presence' as a chip to intimidate women.
    To some extent, this is true, women do play the same game. However, what you're going to find is that 9 out of 10 women in computer-related fields aren't your "typical" female. Most of us have always had mostly male friends, and have little in common with the women we interact with. Not to say we don't have female friends, but we don't know how to play the game with women. However, when you get into a learning/working environment, the "buddy" relationship we've had with men isn't the same, and we don't know how to play the game with men or women, and it leaves us in an awkward position. Actually I guess every place I said "we" I should have said "I" because I shouldn't presume to speak for all women, but I have a feeling that a lot of the women here will agree with me to some extent.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

In my programming class, which I hate because programming bores me, there are about 3 girls. 2 semesters ago in my OSs class, there was about 5 girls, and they were ****in HOT. No one treated them different, so like, yea, all the girls that want to get into computers, take classes with ME

And as for a guy leaving a class crying, yea I did when I was in like 4th grade, I shattered my wrist on the playground.

I think I saw on tv not too long back where they said women are few in science and mathmatics fields also. I don't buy what the article states though. I think it comes down to preference personally.
    Now get off your bum and download it! www.linuxISO.com

Originally posted here by mandraketux
    Thats so sexist. I hate things like that. After reading through some very old posts here i have foudn a few others. Sweet_Angel is a *NIX girl, and lets not forget morgan webb from tech TV, shes a Linux girl. And also, i think its linuxchicks.com or .org something, its a whole website ran by Linux girls.

on a brighter side, i found this website just now and i have to say its one of the best iv seen so far. im still searching it right now but the layout is great and i love how they have it designed. check it out:

http://www.linuxanswers.net/

another thing, all the linux girls here, reply to this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! because a girl with a Tux shirt is sooooo sexy.
    Well I'm a linux gurl Well, to be honest, I'm a total computer nerd - I'm so addicted to my computer it's crazy!! lol!!!! I'll bet you I spend about 12-20 hours a day in front of my computer, lol!! Plus, I work for myself doin' tech support, building computers, etc.! I also play this game called Vietcong in my spare time, okay, I play it alot, heheheh!! I wish it'd play in Linux but it's only a Windows game I also play UT, COD, etc.
    Okay, I won't go on, but now ya'll know I'm a nerd, lol! And I'm a gurlie!

Lol, and if it is you on that picture you're pretty too :P
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Originally posted here by el-half
    Lol, and if it is you on that picture you're pretty too :P
    Ty That really is me, lol! I've got more pics on my site too!
    I'm in a clan, for Vietcong, if ya'll are interested in checking our clan site out!
    The link is: http://www.100clan.com (100% Clan)

I've still got a lot to learn about Linux, well computers & any software for that matter, 'cause the technology and stuff changes from day to day!