Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Really strange computer behaviour ...

I've run across this problem in a number of different contexts, and usually the cause is the simplest thing for which you could look.

All these other solutions posted could weed out more complex and weird causes, but in my experience (six years as an IT manager) it is best to go with Occam's Razor*:

There's something funky going on with your speakers or your sound card.

It is unlikely that a weird sound coming from your machine was caused by an application that otherwise keeps its lips shut. And Windows sounds are pretty trouble-free.

- Brian

For those of you who have an urge to Google here . . . "Occam's razor is a logical principle attributed to the mediaeval philosopher William of Occam (or Ockham). The principle states that one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed. This principle is often called the principle of parsimony. It underlies all scientific modelling and theory building. It admonishes us to choose from a set of otherwise equivalent models of a given phenomenon the simplest one." -- from the Principia Cybernetica

brichards99 - I do agree that looking for the simplest, or most common, problem is the best way to troubleshoot an answer, and I do not think my suggestions were in any way complex or weird.

Although my stats read newbie, I have been visiting AO for a long time. And since your stats read newbie I'm going to cut you some slack, but I am going to take you to task. Sharing your knowledge and attempting to help another AO member is admirable, but suggesting that the entire board is incompotent and that you are wiser than everyone else, by virtue of your claim to be a 6 year IT manager, is not a smart move. If you want to flame the entire board I suggest you take your comments into the COSMOS section, that is why COSMOS was created. The reprecussions may cause you to find yourself to be the recipient of an unprecedented amount of Anti-points.

All newbies should take heed.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

All these other solutions posted could weed out more complex and weird causes, but in my experience (six years as an IT manager) it is best to go with Occam's Razor*:
    I do not believe he is calling everybody here stupid. I think he is just saying that most/all people have posted solutions for rather complicated and complex problems. And that the problem should be queried in the simplest way.

-Sam-

I have had this same problem. It happened twice in a week so I decided to diconnect everything and open up my box and make sure nothing with off. I didn't see anything but I dissassembled and reassembled everything and cleaned inside and I haven't had a problem since. I was on W2K though, so it may not have anything to do with it.

Quick idea could it be overheating (may want to look at it) not sure. Will try to find some info for ya.

Overdue . . .

Ahhhh . . . I guess the definition of flaming has changed recently, because all I intended to do was focus the original author on the best way to go.

If you felt that I was calling you names or casting aspersions on your character, I apologize. Just try to spell incompetent correctly in the future.

(Okay, that was an unnecessary jab. But you were you were the one who threw the newbie title on the table.)

Ok. I can admit the "flaming" was possibly to harsh, and upon reflection, the word "condesending" would, in my opinion, better describe the tone of the post in question. If I took your post out of context, you have my apologies in return.

As for the spelling.... I do not have a word processing or spell check program on this box. I am actually pleasantly suprised that there were not more spelling errors.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

No worries . . .

I'll own up to the condescending part. I'm not so great sometimes at watching my tone when posting to boards I've not posted to before, so I apologize for that.

I am impressed here with the frequency of posts, though. This is an active forum for these topics.

brichards99

I would be fascinated to know what you would deem to be a "simple" solution to an intermittent fault:

Then the weirdest thing happened I heard a clicking sound coming from my computer speakers. It sounded like when somebody hits a penny on a table sofly but really fast at the same time.Making this click,click sound over and over. I tried the usual Alt+Crtl_Del but that didn't work. I tried Esc key that didn't work either. I ended up having too hit the reset button on my computer

That tells me that the machine has "hung" and is no longer accepting instructions from its control peripherals? One of the most probable causes of that is lack of resource.

I have re-read your two posts, and do not see you suggesting ANY practical solution to the problem, simple or otherwise.

The simplest solution is to buy a new computer?..............that is also the most costly!

Unless the solution is obvious, the best way to fault find a computer problem is to identify all the possible culprits and eliminate them one by one. You do this by starting with the simplest and cheapest and progressing from there.

Cheers

I have had this problem before and it used to happen to me when rundll32 would crash. and the noise that was heard comes from trying to push buttons or moving the mouse. Well atleast that was the problem with my comp.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

fl34bit3

Yes I have had that, but I would call it more of a "very short complaining beep"? it usually happens AFTER the machine has hung, and only if the keyboard and mouse are still being responded to (hit capslock or numlock to test this)?

from the description that we have, it seems that the noise appears after the lockup? and is more of a tapping sound, or maybe I misunderstood it.

It is a useful future reference though

Cheers

EDIT: The test is easy...............hit the enter key 5 times and you will get 5 of the noise you describe. If it is continuous until you power off, it is the one that I am talking about.