Thread: Frequent Flier Miles for Troops

Frequent Flier Miles for Troops

I don't know if any of you guys have to do alot of travel for your job (I have),
    and I accumulated quite a few miles that I don't very often get the chance to
    use.

In September 2003, the Pentagon started giving soldiers stationed in Iraq two-week leaves in the largest R & R program since the Vietnam War. The soldiers can fly to Germany or BWI (Baltimore Washington International Airport) for free, but the soldiers are responsible for flights the rest of the way to their destination.

Looks like a program has started up to give people an opportunity to donate frequent
    flier miles to allow soldiers to get home to see their families while on break from active
    duty. If you are interested in donating some miles, have a look at the following site:

http://www.heromiles.org/

I wound up dumping 50000 of mine

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Nice. If I had some I would give them up too.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Just gave up all of mine, my wife did a stint in the navy turst me these seperations are hard, this is compounded because these troops where told that they would be home months ago and a lot of them are reserves that should not be expected to deal with long deployments. Two weeks is better then nothing but we need to get a troop rotation going but it seems that are troops are spread too thin to do this.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

OMG, for once I agree with you bballad

It sucks bigtime for those guys, they should have been home a while ago, yet their tours keep getting extended. To top it off they get a little break and then the DoD only pays for them to get to BWI...can't believe they would do that...

Anyway, I figure it is the least I can do.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

hey I had a sister in law abord the abraham lincon, I understand the suckage that is a overly extended tour, hopefuly we can start rotateing the troops soon, I jsut can't figure out from where we can pull them from. My only sugestion would be bosnia, but that seems like a very bad idea that area could flare up at any time...we should have at least gotten the support of NATO before we attacked Iraq.

bballad- Bush's decisions with our troops are always going to be better than what Gore would havedone, and you know it

Clintonsucks,

This thread was only to point out a hardship that is being experienced by our soldiers due to their long deployments overseas. It is not about politics, polititians, or policies, only about helping out fellow Americans who are having a tough time getting home. Please keep the thread on topic.

/nebulus

Nato is indeed looking at pulling troops from Bosnia, but I agree let's stay on a positive note for this one. It's about getting the troops the means to go on leave and at least get someplace. The government doen't pay for plane tickets when on leave.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by clintonsucks
    bballad- Bush's decisions with our troops are always going to be better than what Gore would havedone, and you know it
    that is extreamly irrelivant, the pont of this topic is to help the troops see their familes and loved ones. Being an exmilitary spouse this is something I take at a personal level, I for one care about our troops and support them, I would hope that someone that claimed to be patriotic would fell the same way.