Thread: Enterprise DBMS Solutions

The Iceman Cometh

Enterprise DBMS Solutions

This is a follow-up to my Dream Network post.

A lot of people suggested that I not use Microsoft servers. Regardless of pros and cons of various server OSes, I'm dead-set on going with W2k3 w/ AD for the PDC. In terms of a database server, however, I'm relatively open to going with something other than SQL Server. Ammo pointed out PostgreSQL as a good alternative. I've had experience with mySQL on Red Hat Linux, but I've had some reliability issues with it, which drops it out of the running. I've done some research on PostgreSQL, Oracle and SQL Server, including finding some good case studies, but I want to know real-world experiences from people that have had both good and bad experiences with various DBMSes. What kind of experience do you all have with using PostgreSQL (or any other databases) in a large business environment and what advice can you give in evaluating different products?

AJ

Banned
    If you are already using Windows, stick with MSSQL, the only people that don't like it are just your random kiddie anti-MS people.
    If you were using another platform than Oracle et al would be fine, but for your enterprise, a homogenous system is always the idea choice if you can swing it, and in this case you can.

catch

PS. anyone that suggests mySQL should be disregarded completely. It isn't even a real RDBMS and all of its recent attempts with adding more functionality are too immature at best and highly suspect at worst.

I thought Oracle would be a good thing to run. It is supposed to be very secure and very useful. It is intended to be used by large corperations.

-Sam-

A DBMS is not an end-user product, hence its selection is normally dictated by what your applications are compatible with.

So go with what the majority of your applications are most compatible with, or cost. Don't worry about installing more than one database - that may be a better solution than using an inappropriate product for the job (even though it may make DB admin more complex)

I would personally say, that if you have lots of Win. Applications which are going to be using it, don't go for MySQL, and in my experience, its ODBC driver tends to be a little flakey - otherwise use what you like.

If using M$ database, it might make more sense to have separate server(s) with MSSQL standard edition on rather than installing the enterprise edition, which is vastly more expensive.

Slarty