Thread: How to configure the serial mouse in HP-UX?

How to configure the serial mouse in HP-UX?

I have a workstation HP B2600 with hp-ux 11.0. Now the mouse is USB port. How can I change the mouse to serial port mouse?Thank you in advance!

Elite Hacker
    Are you talking about cutting the end off and attaching a serial port connector. You would have to know a little bit about electronics to do this. Even if you did it, I think you would have to have different drivers since it will be a different type of connection. Why don't you just buy a serial mouse? If I'm wrong it's because I don't know anything about this stuff. I was just trying to point out some things to watch out for.

Sorry,maybe you are misunderstood or maybe my expression is not clear(my English is poor).
    yeah, I mean I have another serial port mouse, how can I configure the system to make the
    mouse work normally.

Hi natureferity,

The HP C, B, and J series Visualize boxes are configured to use USB by default (at least that is how it is on my C3600 and B2000) for the keyboard and mouse, which from your post, I am guessing you may already know.

Is there a reason you don't want to use USB for your mouse? I suppose you could connect a bus mouse (serial), reboot, and see what device it is picked up under, then configure X to use that device as the mouse... The mouse may misbehave, or not even work if you do this though; in my experience HP-UX is not as flexible in this way as machines running XFree.

However, there is always a possibilty that some old HP-UX hacker knows a way to get the job done, so you may want to check the HP-UX forums and see if somebody knows there.

Best of luck!

-- spurious
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

Originally posted here by spurious_inode
    Hi natureferity,

The HP C, B, and J series Visualize boxes are configured to use USB by default (at least that is how it is on my C3600 and B2000) for the keyboard and mouse, which from your post, I am guessing you may already know.

Is there a reason you don't want to use USB for your mouse? I suppose you could connect a bus mouse (serial), reboot, and see what device it is picked up under, then configure X to use that device as the mouse... The mouse may misbehave, or not even work if you do this though; in my experience HP-UX is not as flexible in this way as machines running XFree.

However, there is always a possibilty that some old HP-UX hacker knows a way to get the job done, so you may want to check the HP-UX forums and see if somebody knows there.

Best of luck!

-- spurious
    Spurious, thanks for your post! My usb port mouse was bad, I have not the same mouse now, only have a serial port mouse. As you say, in Linux I can configure it by Xfree but in Hp-ux I can't. I am sure there is a way to configure it in Hp-Ux. isn't it ?