Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Microsoft focuses on security

See now I'm really confussed - must be a Friday...

It all depends on how you look it up. Do the search based on *.hotmail.com
    Putting *.hotmail.com into netcraft didn't give me anything...

And how accurate can you say those results are, when 4 of the 6 netcraft listings you showed say that their not even owned by Microsoft or MS Hotmail (not including the 7th that was on the W2K box)...

If their not owned by microsoft or hotmail - can you accuratly state that their part of the microsoft's network? (I wouldn't think so at least)...

RRP

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Which ones were questionable?

And odd.. worked for me.. you should have gotten this page
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Darn, really is Friday today - i can't even count...

The 3 of the 6 I was meaning to question were:

The 2 *.*.microsoft.com addresses that you listed as being on Linux
    and the last of the 3 hotmails - i believe it was something like nexus2.dev.hotmail.com...

RRP

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    The Akami ones are someone else's. (web tracking?). outlook.microsoft.com seems to present a microsoft website although it's hosted elsewhere (??). The hotmail ones do resolve to hotmail or msn. The nexus2.dev.hotmail.com is definately going to hotmail (via traceroute).

Basically, MS still probably has a few *nix boxes around. I wouldn't be surprised. If they are going to provide interoperatibility, wouldn't they need some live stuff to work with?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Ok - so I wasn't as confused as I thought, some of them weren't actually Microsoft's...

Thats good, didn't want to think i was losing it completly

As a side comment to this little topic - another way you can tell MS still considers *NIX better for some things, they still use UNIX based servers for all their products disk duplications (Ergo to make the CD-ROM copies to send out to the public)... Because their less likely to become infected with Viruses coping them on a UNIX box instead of a Window's box...

article on that matter:
    http://linuxtoday.com/security/2000042605006SC

RRP

Btw, Every U.S. government organization I have ever worked with used SunOS/Solaris including N.O.A.A., U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Navy, U.S. Air Force, N.I.M.A. (Formerly Defense Mapping Agency). Of course these were not the only workstations in use and the computing was specific to a particular field.

As to OpenBSD, they have repeatedly and thoroughly addressed the two causes of every single exploit that has plagued any OS in the past 20 years; insecure practices in software development, and insecure implementation of software. This is not to say that there has never been an exploit for OpenBSD and there never will be one again; computer security by definition is far too complex and dynamic for that to ever be a reality in any given software or system.

As to Microsoft, they suffer specifically from a failure to act. When you have millions upon millions of computers running your software in a connected world it is among your highest obligations to ensure that the software is as secure as possible when it is released and that patches and updates are rapidly deployed to users as an issue emerges. Of course users must actually apply these patches for them to work, and Microsoft is certainly not liable for users who ignore them. I have to ask though, how does a patch/service pack to be released in spring of next year benefit those users who are being attacked today?

The SE Linux model (which is not a stand-alone OS by itself) is certainly a shining example of least privilege and privilege separation; however let's not forget that it is still software, and given enough time some person will find a way to bring it to it's knees (although I hope not ).

-- spurious
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    The Akami ones are someone else's. (web tracking?). outlook.microsoft.com seems to present a microsoft website although it's hosted elsewhere (??). The hotmail ones do resolve to hotmail or msn. The nexus2.dev.hotmail.com is definately going to hotmail (via traceroute).

Basically, MS still probably has a few *nix boxes around. I wouldn't be surprised. If they are going to provide interoperatibility, wouldn't they need some live stuff to work with?
    Akami is MS's ISP
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?