Thread: Dell Server parts

Dell Server parts

Just wondering if anyone has a reliable source for Dell Server parts they might share with me? I have found a few small sources, but older servers tend to be harder to find parts for (I'm running the PowerEdge 6100 and 2200). Specifically, I'm currently looking for a PowerEdge 2200 mainboard, as POST beeps indicate a faulty board or BIOS.

Why not just replace it with a differnt motherboard instead of a dell board?
    =

The 2200 appears to be a proprietary design. I haven't taken a close look at it, nevertheless, a used 2200 board is actually cheaper to buy (if you can find one) than say a Tyan of a comparable nature. I actually picked up a pair of processor boards for my 6100 for $30.00, and I have found backpanes and mainboards for as low as $9.95.

Well I would look aroudn dells website and see what they have.

You might be better off just to call them and see if they can send you a motherboard.
    =

The problem with getting older parts for Dell servers from Dell is that you pay a premium for the parts. They are sometimes refurb'ed, but that can be problematic.

It might be better to search eBay and other sites for whole systems. You can often get them for little $$ and can swap parts to make working systems.

You can still get the BIOS, backplane and other firmware updates from Dell.