Thread: Intel Pentium 4

Intel Pentium 4

P4EE - Intel Pentium 4 Extremely Expensive Edition to ship Monday

Intel Pentium 4 Extremely Expensive Edition to ship Monday
    By Tony Smith
    Posted: 31/10/2003 at 09:10 GMT

Intel will finally ship its extremely expensive Pentium 4 Extreme Edition on Monday, more than a month after the games-oriented processor was announced.

So says PC World, citing a source "familiar with Intel's plans". This 'deep throat' also claims a number of PC vendors will on Monday announce boxes based on the chip.

The P4EE was launched last September at Intel Developer Forum, primarily in an attempt to knock some of the shine off AMD's Athlon 64 launch, which took place the week after.

Like the Athlon 64 FX-51, the P4EE is being pitched as a high performance CPU for gamers. Like the AMD chip, the Intel part is essentially a sever/workstaion chip - Xeon in this case - re-branded as a desktop processor.

The P4EE boasts 2MB of on-die L3 cache alongside the regular P4's 512KB of L2 cache. It will be clocked at 3.2GHz. Not coincidentally, that's the speed at which the next generation of P4, 'Prescott', is expected to debut. Not only is the P4EE a foil for the Athlon 64 FX, it's also a distraction from the problems Intel denies it's experiencing in getting Prescott out of the door in volume.

The new chip isn't going to be cheap, either. Its anticipated price is $925 - over $500 more expensive than the $417 3.2GHz P4. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/33699.html

Interesting!

Could it be that Intel have shot themselves in the foot?

the Intel part is essentially a sever/workstaion chip - Xeon in this case - re-branded as a desktop processor
    I don't know about the US market but over here that looks like a half price Xeon Traditionally they have been very expensive. I would now consider them for SOHO server applications, which market they had previously priced themselves out of.

just my £0.02, or £0.01 if I spend it on a new "Xeon"

Damn! almost a thousaund bucks for one processor.

It should be a faster processor though with that 2mb of cache. Seems like Cache has always been the one thing that can slow a computer up. that and the Hard drive. Maybe it will work out for them. I've always kinda been an intel fan.
    =

Hi Cheyenne,

Damn! almost a thousaund bucks for one processor
    I can remember paying about £2200 for one, (not as high spec) about 4 years ago.........and I needed eight!!!.............that is over 3500 bucks per processor. OK 3000 after the deductible sales tax we have over here

I have decided to buy one (or two) when they are available............I always wanted a Xeon........hell! Santa Claus has come early.......just when I stopped believing in him

Cheers

good news