Thread: School Paper on hacking.

Post School Paper on hacking.

For the past two days i've been surfing on this site reading and feeding my addiction to all this knowledge. The reason I stubled in here is because i'm writing a research paper on hackers/cracker (cheese biscuits) what ever you might call them. In my research I read "Hacker diaries the confessions of a teenage hacker" thats how i found this site. I find myself putting off writing my paper because i'm reading all the stuff on here. So i'm going to try to focus hared now and get this thing done. I was thinking though maybe there are other people on here that are in my same predicatment.

I'm looking for any ideas on what i sould put in my paper. This is my outline so far.
    [list]
    I'll try to post more i have to go now the bell rang.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Ummm.. I think you still need to post your outline still.

If you are still looking for some good resources, I've always found the following books as good insights:

The Cuckoo's Egg
    @Large

You should be able to find them at your local library. Once you post your outline, then more ideas might come.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    how about you start with what every hacker has in his room or office

Another one got caught today, it's all over the papers. "Teenager Arrested in Computer Crime Scandal", "Hacker Arrested after Bank Tampering"...

Damn kids. They're all alike.

But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain, ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker? Did you ever wonder what made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?

I am a hacker, enter my world...

Mine is a world that begins with school... I'm smarter than most of the other kids, this crap they teach us bores me...

Damn underachiever. They're all alike.

I'm in junior high or high school. I've listened to teachers explain for the fifteenth time how to reduce a fraction. I understand it. "No, Ms. Smith, I didn't show my work. I did it in my head..."

Damn kid. Probably copied it. They're all alike.

I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. Or doesn't like teaching and shouldn't be here...

Damn kid. All he does is play games. They're all alike.

And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict's veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. "This is it... this is where I belong..." I know everyone here... even if I've never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...

Damn kid. Tying up the phone line again. They're all alike...

You bet your ass we're all alike... we've been spoon-fed baby food at school when we hungered for steak... the bits of meat that you did let slip through were pre-chewed and tasteless. We've been dominated by sadists, or ignored by the apathetic. The few that had something to teach found us willing pupils, but those few are like drops of water in the desert.

This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud. We make use of a service already existing without paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us criminals. We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals.

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all... after all, we're all alike.
    +++ THE HACKERS MANIFESTO +++

i also wrote a paper on hackers once , i think you should first write the difference between hackers, crackers, virus writers, script kiddies a.k.a. cyber punks and phreaks. Here are some good resources:

http://www.plethora.net/~seebs/faqs/hacker.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...erence+cracker difference

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html How to become a hacker, i kow u can't become a hacker just by acting like a hacker , and not al hacker act alike so dont think this is true but since the society thinks like this you may as well include it in your paper

Sorry about my abrupt end to my message. I didn't even get a chance to read over my post. I apologize. I had to leave school.

Thanks for your post though. They've been helpful i do have one question about the manifesto. That was written by +++Mentor+++ i beleave. In my paper though i would like to quote from it. If i use it though i have to site my source. So does anyone know where the manifesto was first published. I've found it in the anarchist cookbook and on various websites. It would be best if could find the orginal publishing.

Hacker
    Introduction – Do we really know about these hacker individuals other than just what the media and criminal reports tell us?
    I. How hackers and classified
    A. White, Black, Grey, Hats
    B. Criminals or Wrongly Accused
    II. Types of people that hack
    A. Anyone anywhere
    B. Lifestyles
    1. Home life
    2. School life
    3. Hobbies
    III. What a hack is
    A. Literal definition
    B. Different types of hacks
    C. Hardware of hackers
    IV. Legality
    A. What laws do they break
    B. Morality against legality
    C. Penalties of the law
    V. Famous/Infamous Hackers
    A. Names and what they did
    B. Where they are now
    C. Manifestos

Conclusion – Anyone who craves knowledge more then is given to them could become addicted to Hacking if they so crave. Not all of hacking is entirely harmful and some is for the better good. There is a constant struggle between the morality and legality of the issue. Most hackers aren’t criminals there just people who are punished for their knowledge.

This is my hacker paper summery. These are the areas i'd like to go into. If you have any suggestions or any more help. I would be very thankful.

Side note: I've also been looking downloads and things to use on my PDA. If you know any good sites. Let me know.

Thanks Aden a.k.a. ToS

OK Kid, let me introduce you to the real world you were obviously denied?

Most hackers aren’t criminals there just people who are punished for their knowledge.

Do not abuse that which you have been taught, or have access to?

"TO ERR IS HUMAN, TO FORGIVE DIVINE......................NEITHER ARE MARINE CORPS POLICY"

Good luck.............you might just need it

Nihil that hurts. It really does. Allow myself to explain though. I wrote this only after reading little on my subject. I puked out what i posted onto a paper just to appease my teacher. I wouldn't of wrote my conclusion anything like that any more.

I've read all the stuff MemorY sent me. I thank you MemorY it was helpful.

I'm still wondering on where Mentor's Manifesto was first published?

So Nihil if you have ny suggestions on what I should put in conclusion let me know. Or anyone else in that case.

Hi Aden,

You have picked a highly complex topic, and I wish you luck on an accurate and compelling result in your paper.

Along the way be careful not to romanticize The Scene when talking of the black-hat (including the kidZ and lamers) community; it is easy to do since it has a certain bad-boy attractiveness to many people.

If you haven't read it already, I suggest you read Everything a hacker needs to know about getting busted by the Fed's - by Agent Steel , it makes for an interesting read about the reward many black-hat's get for their 1337 5k1llZ. Note that it is extremely rare anymore for the FBI/NSA/MI5(6?)/ONI/CIA or any other intelligence/law-enforcement agency to employ black-hat's, they have plenty of their own expertise these days, and frankly a lot of black-hat's aren't all that talented.

My personal request is that you would include some statement about the term hacker and it's actual meaning, I think that is an important point to highlight, and pays homage to the unnamed thousands who created this marvel known as the internet.

Best of luck

-- spurious
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/