Thread: Need Help Please.

Need Help Please.

Ok. . . my friend swears up and down someone hacked his home network. There is a "mysterious" account that has just recently been created. Here is a screenshot of it. The one with the ? beside it.

What do you guys and girls think?
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Me thinks that it's nothing to worry about, and if he was that worried, why shouldn't he just delete that user.
    He's obviously gotta change the passwords to each log in name, but that ain't no biggy.
    Me thinks it ain't nothing to get all paranoid about..
    Cheers...

kris*.*>*>..

Thats exactly what I told him. . . but he tends not to believe me.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Well get him to check to make sure that he's firewall is working properly, and get him to install ZoneAlarm,
    Get him to get a Trojan Remover program.
    Just to make sure, but i must admit it does look a little suspicious, as not many hax0rs would create a new user name on a remote computer.
    That is the easiest way to get caught..
    So i o doubt it that he's been hacked, and are you sure that your friend didn't just create that user name and is just trying to pull a trick on you...?

Anyhow just run the appropriate programs and see what he comes up with..
    cheers
    Kris

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Looking at it, and given it's a shot of the properties of the local disk rather than the actual user list, off-hand it looks like an account that might have been deleted but not full removed from the system. If I was him I'd look at the actual user list and if still concerned go through the event viewer and see if new accounts were added recently. Whatever activity might have been going on might show up (assuming auditing is on).

It doesn't necessarily look like someone broke in but better safe than sorry.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage