Internet Connection Sharing

Thread: Internet Connection Sharing

Question Internet Connection Sharing

My problem is this:

I have two boxes here at home. A WindowsXP Professional box, and a RedHat 9 box.

The Linux box does not have a modem, it's just my XP box that does. They both have network cards too, so I was wondering how it would be possible to enable internet connection sharing using the XP box as the 'server', and the linux box as the client.

Is it possible? Would I need a something like 'winproxy'? If someone could generally explain the steps necessary it'd be a big help. I'm using a cross-over cable, so theres no hub or switch in between.. even though I plan on adding one later. Also, would the XP box need to have DHCP enabled?

Any specific, procedural help would be cool.

Cheers.
    I blame you cos my mind is not my own, so don't blame me if I trespass in your zone!

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Have a read through this, it may help you with what you are trying to do, hardware required, configurations etc

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/sharing.htm
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

just my thoughts... ICS is a total bitch to get working IMHO... I've never managed to get ICS working with linux and only imperfectly with win98 for that matter... now I know some others have had problems with it so I know its not just me being stupid. So what to do....

if you want something easy and quick you might want to try AnalogX proxy from here

http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm

its easy to use if you read the instructions with it... assuming you already have WinXP and RH9 talking to each other (incidentally I personally have always found that on small networks setting individual IP addresses is easier than DHCP and seems to work better with AnalogX proxy - I'm assuming you know how to do this but just post back if you don't) briefly

* install on WinXP and set up according to the instruction with the prog
    * go to the browser your using in linux and set the browser to look for the XP box's IP address e.g. 192.168.0.1 and specify the proper ports that the proxy is using (forget which one AnalogX uses but it does say in the instructions)
    * voila, you should be pretty much good to go

You may have to restart WinXP (I forget but I don't recall doing so myself) and it is likely that you'll have problems receiving email on linux - the SOCKS support isn't that great but play around with it. Incase you're wondering I got his setup to work (at least for browsing the net - as I said email is a little trickier) for RH7,8, Mandrake 8, 8.1, Knoppix 3.1, 3.2, Debian 3.0, FreeBSD, Vector Linux (forget the version), Peanut linux (again forget version) so it's reasonably sure to work ok. I would still use it were it not for the fact that I got a router when I switched to cable. PM me if you get problems

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

I found ICS a piece of cake to set up. It should be right there in the menu.
    In WIN98, mine was START->programs->accesories->Internet tools.
    The wizard will set you up with no fuss. I have two windows, and one
    linux boxes connecting through the same gateway. It will want the
    one with the modem to be 192.168.0.1 and the other will be 192.168.0.2

My red hat box is set up to "DSL" connection, not because it's DSL, but
    because it connects through the network card to the other computer
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Thanks a bunch guys. I'm going to try this stuff out as soon as I can. I already downloaded the AnalogX Proxy. Haven't poked around with it yet. I'll let you know as to what i did to finally get it working.

Cheers
    I blame you cos my mind is not my own, so don't blame me if I trespass in your zone!

I dunno if you would be interested, but I will suggest this anyways. I also have a win box and a linux box. Instead of setting up one as a server and the other as a client, (and always having to have the one machine on if I'm correct) I just run them both into a router. Some of them have a built-in dial-up modem like mine, the SMC7004ABR. I dunno, just a suggestion if you want to consider it or not. It could save you the trouble of setting up ICS, but hey, its just my cheap two cents ey?

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

I found ICS a piece of cake to set up.
    actually I'm really glad to hear that. I dunno why it never worked on any of my machines (which then numbered 4). One of my friends has it working on thier setup so after much sarcasm they tried setting up on my machines for me... they failed too (although we did manage to get it working with two machines - does ICS only work with two machines? surely not??).. despite reformatting and installing everything from scratch. Incidentally this has been investigated over the course of months and not recently I might add... this all happened about 2 years ago on 4 machines of various ages.

Having said all that I had no problems with an alternative software proxy (like the AnalogX one but I've tried others without problems e.g. WinRoute, Proxy+ etc) - I just seem to be jinxed with ICS .

anyway I got me a router some time ago and I have to say I much prefer using it over ICS or similar.

Z

anyway I got me a router some time ago and I have to say I much prefer using it over ICS or similar
    When I get broadband, I'll probably get a router too, but with dialup, I wouldn't
    know how to connect the router to a modem, since I have an internal modem.

Some of them have a built-in dial-up modem like mine, the SMC7004ABR
    cool, I didn't know they made stuff like that.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

well.. I'd like to say I've made progress.. but I haven't.

Like you mentioned, ZoneWalker, RH9 and Windows just aren't talking. I have the ethernet cards configured as follows:

192.168.0.1 ------ WinXP
    192.168.0.2 ------ RH9

RH9 box uses 192.168.0.1 ( WinXP's address ) as the default gateway.

I can ping their individual address on the machines.. but i can't seem to get them to ping the other machine... i.e. linux can't ping winxp, but can ping itself. Meaning the card are working fine. Also, under WinXP, i have the little 'connected' icon in the system tray telling me the LAN is connected. any ideas?

Reject... are you using ICS first or AnalogX proxy (or some other?)?

second have you rebooted both PC's and if so in what order... I've noticed that XP seems to prefer to be booted first followed by any clients. I would also add that occasionally and I mean very occasionally XP seems to have to have a few goes before it takes to the other connection... not sure why

thirdly... is the XP firewall on? if it is then take it off, it interferes big time with ICS and will interfere with AnalogX proxy

fourth.. if you're using the analogX proxy.. is the system tray icon in XP green or red... and do you have IP logging enabled?

fifth if you are using the analogX proxy - have you pointed your browser on RH9 to the right port... analogX doesn't use port 80 or 8080 for http (forget which it does use but that will be in the instructions)

Z