Thread: Help needed

Help needed

Hello dear mates,
    Its very glad to post a message here. I am a master student in sweden.I am very much intersted in network security and wireless security.
    I would like to do my masters thesis in these areas.But, I dont have any topic right the moment to propose to my professor.To explore myself , I dont have plenty of time.
    So, please could anybody give me some topics to suit Masters thesis which would be intersting.
    I would be thankful and greatful to all of you.Thanks
    Naga Raju Peddisetty,
    Msc Telecommunications,
    sweden.

Elite Hacker
    That's a tough one. Obviously you want to do something that you are really knowledgeable about. My brother was writing an english paper the other day and he wanted me to pick a title, and trust me it is harder than it sounds. As for helping you pick a topic, I think you already did. You said you were very interested in network and wireless security. So just do something with that only make it more specific. It is very hard for us to give you an answer to this question, ultimately your going to have to decide the topic and it won't matter what we think you should do, only what you want to do will matter. So just trust yourself and pick your topic.

(not speaking out of experience as I'm still in highschool) if you write about a very specific topic you tend to get a higher score.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: Help needed

Originally posted here by zammer
    I am a master student in sweden.I am very much intersted in network security and wireless security.
    I would like to do my masters thesis in these areas.But, I dont have any topic right the moment to propose to my professor.To explore myself , I dont have plenty of time.
    I appreciate you do not have much time, and of course it will be difficult for you to come up with suitable proposals for a thesis, I could'nt think of much myself, but I would suggest that you do a Google search for" thesis topics network security", there appears to be a lot out there that would at least give you a starting point

here's a really good website i've recently seen, http://secinf.net/ Its filled with libraries on NEtwork Securities. It could give you something to start on.

Good Luck

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: Help needed

Originally posted here by zammer
    Hello dear mates,
    Its very glad to post a message here. I am a master student in sweden.I am very much intersted in network security and wireless security.
    So, please could anybody give me some topics to suit Masters thesis which would be intersting.
    I would be thankful and greatful to all of you.Thanks
    A master thesis always goes from the more general to the more specific. So does your litterature. start with reading basic guides and go more and more advanced, you will notice that during the writing of your thesis you will become more knowlegdable about your topic, it's almost impossible to have a complete clear view over all chapters before starting with writing chapter one.

A very good and recommended scientific method for a thesis title is to ask a question. In other words set 'a these' and you respond that these.

For example: "Wireless access an open port for network intrusion?"
    or you could talk about new encryption standards etc. used for wireless networking.

I would suggest to be so abstract and advanced as possible but also offer concrete topics and examples.
    For example: in chapter one you describe the terms and give general info about networking, security, wireless access... also in that chapter you state your question
    you are going to answer this question in other chapters of your thesis providing examples and intrusion possibilities, possibly some scripts and their execution logs... in the concluding chapter you make clear what you concluded... is it safe? what are the precautions you advice? future developments, possible future research? ...

This is only an example, besides there exists books on how to write a thesis or pick the right title.

good luck!

Thumbs up

Thanks everybody who have given their suggestions.I know how to write a thesis.What am I serching for is a nice topic in network security.Thanks anyway.
    Naga Raju Peddisetty,
    Msc Telecommunications,
    sweden.

Hi zammer,

Are you a Computer Science or Cryptography student? The topics I like at the moment in computer security are one time use passwords, and the least privilege methodology in server applications that will almost certainly become standard by the end of the decade.

A good place to begin may be with the NSA's Security Enhanced Linux tool-kit. It enforces roles, and a stringent policy of least-privilege (e.g. there is no all-powerful user, not even root). Paired with opie or some other one-time-password mechanism, it would make an excellent model for a secure network/server platform.

Hope that helped.

-- spurious
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

I think I have a very state of the art topic for a thesis. If I was a student with plenty of time I'll go for it!!!

For a good thesis you need
    - a subject in the trend: Let's say WI-FI
    - a new subject and very technical: What is the latest protocol in Wi-Fi? (you don't have a clue ... it will be then a good subject): IEEE802.16
    - Your subject of interest is security

Here is your thesis topic: "Wireless State of the art: 802.16 Security in protocol design"

Just to give you some info about 802.16: It is the next generation of wireless protocol with 2 main design golas:
    - Security (we all know 802.11 weaknesses): a new waveform, new networking protocols, ...
    - Mobility: That's the big innovation. This standard is designed to answer to mobile nodes where an equivalent of 802.11 WAP is mobile as well.

For instance one application is communication between cars on road for data transfer in view to serve accident avoidance applications. Cars are mobile, cars end-user are mobile (when the car is stopped obiously) ... every single entities are mobile. This induces roaming, hand over, ad-hoc routing, radio transmission & allocation issues...

zammer: In one word for me it is a fantastic scope of research because it is the future we are facing.
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Hey ,
    I am really surprised by your helping nature.I dont know how can I say Thanks to you.
    I am really greatful to you.Its also one of the areas in my mind.You have given some more push to it.
    Have a nice time.
    Naga Raju Peddisetty,
    Msc Telecommunications,
    sweden.