problem turning netbios back on
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem turning netbios back on

problem turning netbios back on

hi,
    well when i got xp i knew it was pretty insecure. so what i did was turn off every single windows port. i turned off netbiols tcp helper in services.msc, took it out of network connections, turned off UPnP, turned off rpc, as well as port 445 (smb over tcp i think). now that i'm on a lan i need to turn netbios back on. i turned back on the netbios tcp helper in services.msc and readded Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks. i think that the problem may lay in one of these areas:
    the fact that i have vmware with 2 virtual lan adapters (doubt this is it but whatever)
    that i turned of port 445 by editing the registry. unfortunately i forgot what key i deleted and can not readd it.

any help would be greatly appreaciated
    -alex

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Found this site with Google:

http://www.yellowhead.com/xpcfg2.htm

There's also this one: http://www.petri.co.il/what_is_port_445_in_w2kxp.htm

Generally with MS 0 is disable,1 is enable.

Hope that helps.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Generally with MS 0 is disable,1 is enable.
    Lol. Maybe it is supposed to fool people who have no clue what they are doing? Just like at school, they hide "Run" from the start menu so that you can not access command..... No.

the value NameServerPort was set to 137. i'm not sure what netbios uses 137 for but i know that its usually 139 so i changed it. did anyone else get this?

Elite Hacker
    If you just go to my network places and do the thing on the left that says set up a home or small office network, it will turn it back on. Then when it asks you if you want to make a network floppy say yes, and all you have to do is run the network floppy in all the other computers on your network, that is if they don't already show up in my network places, if they do then you don't even need the network floppy. It might turn on your personal firewall when you do this. I have had problems with this and the network. I would turn it off by going to connections>lan> right click and choose properties> the advanced tab and disable it. Then download something like zonealarm, and you can put all the computers on your lan in the trusted zone so you can "see" all of them and share between them. If you need more help feel free to pm me.

well i checked my win2k box and it had it set to 137 so i changed it back on my box. i then ran the set up a small home or office network and did all the information. restarted and still no luck. i remember i deleted the value (or key not sure) something like /SMB/ in the registry but i dont know where.

Try this key - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters\Interfaces\Tcpip_{AdapterID}\NetbiosOptions. Make sure you have that key and check the strings of the NetBT key to make sure they are valid. Hope this helps.......
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

well i fixed it. http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husd.../close445.htm. i just undid that. but now i have another problem. network browsing is *unbelievably* slow. anyone else experience this on xp? the other computers are win2k and win 98 se. the network browsing is quick from the rest of them.

You may need to enable a rule set in your firewall settings to allow the computers you are trying to access through without filtering (this happened to me), or disable the QoS Packet Scheduler which limits Network bandwidth (just go into the Local Area Connection Properties and uncheck it....Hope this helps....
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

i do not have a firewall. i'll try disabling the QoS Packet Scheduler. Do you know where i could find a simple paper regarding what QoS does? i think its just quality of service but maybe microsoft made a bad implementation and it doesnt use the full capacities of the network. (i'm running a 100mbit switch).