Thread: Linux

Linux

Mandrake, Redhat, Slackware which onewould be the best for a newbie learning linux. If i use any of the 1 above, would i able to master the other 2 OS easily? or they are totally different

Well my personal favourite is red hat.
    Haven't used the others as of yet.
    But i did find it annoying to learn at the start.
    And i imagine that it would be easy to use the others once you've mastered the basics..

Anyhow i'm sure that someone here will be able to give you better advice on this subject.
    Anyhow cheers

Elite Hacker
    I'm sure you could get away with any of those. I use redhat and I thought it was fairly easy to get used to. I've also heard that mandrake is good to start out on. I have never used slackware, but it is supposed to be the most unix like of all of those therefore it is probably the hardest to get used to, although it is probably a great distro. So my recommendation would be redhat because that is what I use and I love it. Once you get used to it you may want to switch to slackware.
    I think that no matter which one you choose you will be happy with your decision. Welcome to linux.

Banned
    Yet another "which is better" question. Most of these questions are purely personal choice. Rather redundant but im bored so who cares.

My personal choice is RedHat of course. I've always found RH books and documentions to be more widespread and easyier to read. Not only that but I've also found it slightly easyier to setup than Mandrake but of course that would be my second choice.

I got RedHat aswell for starting out on my Linux experience. Unfortunately, it is going to be discontinued as of April 2004 [Enterprise will still be availabe]. Hence I will probably begin migrating towards another system [while doing random experiments on my RedHat implementation]
    /\\

Originally posted here by hypronix
    I got RedHat aswell for starting out on my Linux experience. Unfortunately, it is going to be discontinued as of April 2004 [Enterprise will still be availabe]. Hence I will probably begin migrating towards another system [while doing random experiments on my RedHat implementation]
    that's bad linux dropping redhat... considering switching to mandrake or slackware

http://www.suse.com

The install will work with you. If your an advanced user you can do the install and set everything up yourself. If your new to Linx the default way of installing is not only easy but will find your Windows partitions and resize them for you so you dont have too.

And for the price of redhat you can put SuSE on about 5 machines. Also Redhat is dropping there users off at the toilet and driving away so you migth as well go for SuSE, which comes with a hell of alot more things than any other distro does.

i was thinking to use Mandrake