Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rant

Elite Hacker

rant

Disclaimer
    I have nothing against the people who post replies such as "use google". (I have even done it before. Usually I will post something like check google, then later I will come back to my post and edit it with the answer I found at google.) This is simply asking you to have a more open mind toward answering peoples questions here.

Why are we so quick to tell someone to search the forums or to search google when they have a problem. I know that I as well as other people have nothing better to do than answer peoples questions(if you're offended by this and it doesn't apply to you just ignore it). A lot of people may look to AO as their own personal google. They post a thread with a question which represents the search terms. Then everyone here at AO gives them an answer which represents the search results. It is like google only a hell of a lot better because you usually get the exact answer, not all that non-related crap from google. No wonder everyone comes here for their answers. I for one usually don't search google or the forums before I post a question. Maybe people just think that this is a better source than google. I just don't get it. This forum is to answer people's security questions. Yet when someone asks one they are told to go to google. Why do we even have the forum if people are told to go to google instead. I guess I have been lucky so far because no one has said anything to me about going to google or searching the forums. I think that the most I have gotten was "I think this has already been asked here", but no reference to a thread. Now I know some of you will go and look at every one of my posts looking for one in which someone pointed out a thread which answered my question. That just illustrates my point that you have nothing better to do than to search for the answers for other people. Plus I don't like the search feature of this forum. It never gives me what I'm looking for. Maybe someone can write a tutorial about using this forums search feature. Someone should also write a tutorial on using google. I'm sure that has been done though because everyone is always telling people to go to google. I know what everyone is thinking, when you answer the persons question you usually find the answer in google or within another thread in the forum. So you do the work for this person, that's no big deal because that is what drives a lot of people here at AO, the satisfaction of answering someone's question. So the next post you see that you think the answer is in google, just step back, take a deep breath, and do that person a favor and just answer their question. Heck, you never know, you might even get some + AP's for it.

I think that everyone here will agree with at least some of my points and disagree with probably a lot more, but I am entitled to my opinion. If you disagree with me feel free to enlighten everyone on your views. This thread is open for discussion.

p.s. I made sure to post this in GCC due to recent events at AO.

You do have some good points. I'm sure I helped trigger this rant with my previous two posts. I didn't think of that, it was selfish of me and I admit. I guess its a little late at night for me and my common sense side ain't workin to well. I will keep this in mind for future posting, and if I can figure out how, I will delete my previous two posts.

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by dstevens1958
    if I can figure out how, I will delete my previous two posts.

Dave
    Just go to your post , edit, then delete

Or, don't delete, just edit and take out the attitude parts. The links were useful.

Elite Hacker
    You don't have to edit or delete your posts. It is ok to tell someone to go to google and be rude about it. You have your rights. I just think that this site is a better source than google and we should prove it in the way we answer questions. I know for a fact that most of the people here can answer a persons question at least twice as good as google. We have the best of the best and I am proud to be a part of this forum.

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by rapier57
    Or, don't delete, just edit and take out the attitude parts. The links were useful.

I honestly don't think there was any "attitude parts" in his posts. I feel that dstevens1958 was merely trying to help someone help themself, and I agreed with him

Well, it is nice to see some ppl stickin up for me! However, I still think I went for the throat a little too quickly. I used to do the same thing, lol. (Before I learned how to use google that is... ) But yeah, I already deleted the posts, lol. Maybe I did that a little to quickly too. <<sigh>> its been one of them days I guess, not much goin right. Oh well, I don't think AO has an 'undelete' thingy for ppl like me who delete posts with some useful links on 'em ey? lol. Oh well, whats done is done, not like any blood was shed in the process, so perhaps I will just take this to heart and put a little trigger-guard on my mouse button so I don't post too quickly. (or delete for that matter :P) lol, kinda makes me think though, I wonder how much business we give google from here with all the refers? ehehe, google should help sponsor AO don't u think? LOL, ok, maybe thats too much, its late remember?

Peace,

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

Elite Hacker
    To me say "go check google" is like saying that you have no clue what the answer is so find it yourself. I know that if I know the answer to someone's question I don't hesitate to post it. I think a lot of people are the same way. They don't know the answer so they automatically say "check google". That is not a bad thing though. There should probably be at least one post to every question that says to check google, just as a temporary solution until the right person reads the question and provides the answer. I think that these check google posts are especially good when people ask about drivers. About a month ago someone posted about finding drivers for a modem or something. Then I posted with some links to the drivers and said that I found them with google. Then that person replied, that it was ok because he had already found the drivers. Those are the posts where it is good to point out google. Hope this clears some stuff up.

I think there are two very good reasons for pointing people to google.

1. When the question requires very specific answers/downloads/whatever, that are available on the web. Things like drivers are probably a good example, because they are quite specific needs. It might be that guidance to help get the right hits is appropriate.

2. When someone wants homework/assignment help. In my previous forum, this was likely to get the word "cheat" in a reply very quickly, and usually very aggressively. We should not be expected to do people's marked work for them.

Apart from those types of cases, it is probably a cop out. I think posting a link to another thread is very helpful. The best, of course, is simply answering the question. Even if it is the tenth time you have done it. In the end, people with problems need answers. If we can help them move on in that direction, we will be serving a useful purpose.

I think that this is an interesting thread

I must admit that I tell people to use "Google". I would like to hope that I do that for one or other of two reasons.........

1. Because it will produce several hundred hits, and only they can decide those which are relevant.
    2. I cannot remember the precise link that I am trying to send them to. If they are REALLY interested, the onus is upon them?

I am aware that in less democratic parts of the world, Google is actually blocked by the State ISP...............so it is not always an option for us all, I think that we should bear that fact in mind?

I am also aware that a number of people come to the forum with very specific and immediate problems.........they are stressed at the time and will not analyse things with the cynicism of one who could put 30 computers online in the space of an hour...........they are in panic, and need help? isn't that what AO is about?

I believe that it is legitimate to refer persons to search engines, but I insist that you should at least give them the search parameters that you recommend? otherwise why bother to reply?

Just my £0.02

Cheers