Linux Internet Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Internet Help

Linux Internet Help

Well im a bit of a newbie at linux, after much searching found no usb drivers for my modem so im using ether, well when i use linux i cant seem to use *ALL* if the internet, i seem to be able to ping someone under my cable companis ips but can load a webpage or use the Red Hat feature to activate the product.

Ive set the firewall on high security, my ether card on trusted and allowed DHCP and WWW, any help would be great.thanks in advance
    Signature image is too tall!

be more specfic about the problem, i vaguely get what your problem is but i need more info to give you a workable, logical answer
    speak your mind becuase those who matter don\'t mind and those who mind don\'t matter

ok

i have everything setup and the internet on my redhat partition SHOULD be working. exept its not.
    The only internet realted thing i can do is ping
    The linux firewall security is set on high and is only allowing WWW and DHCP

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by Scriptersx
    ok

i have everything setup and the internet on my redhat partition SHOULD be working. exept its not.
    The only internet realted thing i can do is ping
    The linux firewall security is set on high and is only allowing WWW and DHCP
    Who are you pinging?What is the IP address?, and what are you getting back?

Just someone i know under the same cable company, im getting back good replys, no droped packets, i even did a tracert and it came back.
    Im able to bring up info about my modem on the 192.168.100.1 and everything is fine. Is there a daemon or something i gotta turn on? something i have to set?

Make sure that you have the inetd service running or even installed...if this isn't running or installed, then whether or not you have WWW or DHCP allowed on the firewall won't matter, as this service is essential in having your internet working, as it calls on this service.
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You can ping out but cannot surf the web? Or is it that services other than WWW are not allowed? Have you tried putting in the ip address of a website you know instead of relying on DNS resolution? What appears in the resolv.conf?

Have you checked the ip via the ifconfig command? What information does it bring up? Try pinging/traceroute google.com or yahoo.com. Many of them still have internet access. This will help to see if you can get beyond your local network.

What do you get when you do iptables -L? IIRC, RH uses iptables. Which version of RH are you using?

disc0rd, I don't quite understand why someone need inetd running if they are using the machine to browse/surf out? inetd is the internet daemon for servers (ie., to open sockets/ports).

from slackware man page

inetd should be run at boot time by /etc/rc (see rc(8)). It then listens for connections on certain internet sockets. When a connection is found on one of its sockets, it decides what service the socket corresponds to, and invokes a program to service the request.
    If anything, I wouldn't use inetd if this is a home machine and I'm not serving anything unless I'm doing testing. And if I do need to do testing, I'd use xinetd.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

im using RH9.1, Xinetd is on, i typed ifconfig and it came up with some stuff and my windoez ip, tried iptables -L and i see the word reject alot in it.

And were resolv.conf located?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    resolv.conf is in the /etc directory. Could you paste all the "stuff" that iptables and ifconfig produced? It might help us help you.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Iíve seen these references before. I would like to know where he got a copy of RedHat 9.1 ?

( see History of Linux at Red Hat )

Then see the thread Red Hat to end product line started by Dr_Evil

( Iím still at odds with this one ........... I think it will be a wait and see on how Fedora is handled. Not enough info on their new site yet to really answer pertinent questions )

Scriptersx, if you really need help then why did you not post some useful information? Why didnít you post what MsMittens asked for: the output of your iptables -L, the resolv.conf file, or the output of ifconfig?

You said in the thread Motorola SB4200 on Linux that you have two nics but the modem was running on USB. Now you say it is connected to one of the nics. Well, where was it hooked to when you set up your distro and firewall? What are the two nics for? Are you sure you have it connected to the correct nic?

If you want help you will have to supply some relevant information.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes