Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can query and find MAC addresses for all wireless devices on our WLAN?

How can query and find MAC addresses for all wireless devices on our WLAN?

I've inherited the process of comparing all wireless MAC addresses to our MAC address filter list on our WLAN to determine which MAC addresses are not needed any longer so that I can remove them. It sounds like a laborious task just to piss me off, however, if I can find a way to pull this info across the network remotely, I will be a hero this week. If you guys could reccomend any app, I would greatly appreciate it.
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

try creating a script file to use nbtsta.exe -A %ip% and build a list
    that is what I would do...

Not sure if these options are what you are looking for but...

1. Windows box: Run NBTSTAT -A IPaddress; you probably arleady know this though; you could write a script that ran that against each IP in the WLAN subnet(s) and parse the results

2. Little program I found a long time ago called TCPNetView. It works against the local subnet of the machine you run it on. It shows you: computer name, dns name, IP address, MAC. AND you can save it to a TEXT file - very handy! I've attached it here.
    EDIT: Further look at this tool shows it probably uses the Windows network browse list for list of machine.

Hope this helps ya.

--->

Nice app...

simple- but to the point

I like it

Can't you just look at the logs in the WAP(s)?

Probably not as easy as creating the script though... but the script will only show you what is active at the time you run it...

The logs should include all MAC(s) of the active users for a specific period of time, etc.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

phishphreek80
    We have over 40 accesspoints and well over 50 wireless. Not all devices hit all WAPS.
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

Ouch... thats quite a few.

Then the script will have to be run several times at different times of the day and days of the week... If their computer isn't turned on, or the card isn't active, etc.

Joe Schmoe might be on vacation this week, and if he isn't connected to the network, you won't get his MAC in your list when you run the script.

You don't keep a list of wireless cards that have been handed out? When a wireless card isn't in use anymore, it should be crossed off the list and removed from the ACL(s).
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

not sure about your topology, but are there any arp caches that you could look at? Although they might have been purged by the time you get around to doing this.
    t.e.k.n.o.

man arp
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/