Novell to acquire SuSe

Thread: Novell to acquire SuSe

Novell to acquire SuSe

\"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

it's been posted here dude.

Who do you think will benefit from this more SUSE or Novell?

-r. future

This is stupid. We all know how popular netware was right? All I have to say is, if they **** it up I'm kicking Novells ass.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Gore, be glad it's not SCO buying SUSE..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Calgary, AB Canada
    Well after reading the info of SuSE's site, I hope that wasn't just full of empty promises. <<sigh>> I just became a SuSE lover myself... Oh well, maybe this will work out? Hopefully they don't end up killing the desktop line like RH just did, and they better not ***** it up!!!! grrrr! Or else, gore, I'm gonna help you kick some serious Novell ass! Maybe we could train some crazy Chameleon (and name in Geeko of course!) and send him in ninja style and kick some Novell ass too! lol, hey, just wanna protect my new found love ya know! Yeah, don't remind me, I need to get a life.... lol

Ah hell, I'm just gonna go cry to sleep now, and pray for SuSE. Long live Geeko! Long live Geeko! <<starts pickiting outside of Novell's HQ wearing green Chameleons on my head>> ok, maybe thats a little far. But if they mess it up..... grrrrrrr....

So gore, why don't u take the President, I will take the VP, and then... MsMittens can keep security busy while we finish off the rest! YAY! Oh hell, lets just give em a chance ey? Maybe Novell will help out after all. <<sigh>> I hope anyways!

lol, k, I will stop my rant. Peace! (except for future Novell ass kicking if necessary!)

Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

here' more today

Linux users worry about desktop products' fate

Two major moves by well-known Linux companies have the open-source community worried that the consumer is being left behind.
    On Monday, in an expected move, Red Hat said it would stop supporting all consumer versions of Red Hat Linux by the end of April 2004 and only planned to support its business version of the operating system. On Tuesday, enterprise software maker Novell announced an agreement to buy Linux maker SuSE for $210 million.

For the business world, the deals seemingly confirmed the corporate role for the community operating system. However, many Linux enthusiasts worry that the Linux community may have lost its two most popular distributions--Red Hat Linux and SuSE Linux--in a corporate equivalent of a one-two punch

"When you go into a CompUSA or Best Buy, the only versions of Linux that you can find on the shelves are Red Hat and SuSE," said Jack Alderson, a Linux and Sun systems administrator for custom-chip maker X-Fab Texas. Alderson fears that Novell will stop creating consumer-oriented versions of SuSE Linux, which he uses at home. "With Red Hat's announcement, that pulled them off of the shelf and out of the general public's view. All there was left was SuSE. Now that's going to disappear also."

The moves could return consumers to a choice of Linux distributions from smaller companies--such as Mandrake, Xandros or Lindows--or from community projects such as Debian, Fedora, Gentoo and Slackware.

Novell appears to be planning to carry SuSE's open-source torch, but it hasn't made specific comments regarding lower-priced versions of its Linux products.

"Novell is committed to the open-source community," Chief Executive Jack Messman said Tuesday in a conference call. "With SuSE, we gain access to and will continue to actively support key SuSE-sponsored open-source initiatives."

While SuSE's high-end server products retail for $450 or more, SuSE 9 Professional--which includes publicly available Linux server packages--only costs $80.

Charles Philip Chan, a Toronto resident who has used Linux for about a decade, believes that Novell's acquisition is additional validation for the open-source operating system.

"On one hand it is good, because it looks like Linux is moving in the commercial space," he said, adding that consumers still have a lot of choice among community projects on the Internet. "There are a lot of other distributions out there."

However, Chan said the consumer market will likely expand at a slower rate, because there will be fewer versions on shelves at retail stores. While Red Hat Linux won't be available at retail, the company is supporting a community project, Fedora, to create distributions based on cutting-edge Linux technology.

Arthur Tyde, the founder and former president of the Bay Area Linux Users' Group, is optimistic about SuSE remaining a choice for consumers. SuSE Linux 9 has already been released, and he fully expects to see the next version at retail.

"I think it is wait and see," he said. "It might not affect the community at all. From a consumer standpoint, I think you will still see SuSE Linux in CompUSA."

Moreover, while some have viewed troubled Novell's purchase plans as a potential threat to SuSE, Tyde said that Novell is just getting a second chance and who knows what the company will do with SuSE.

"You have to think about what they are really buying," he said. "They are not buying the rights to all that code. They are buying credibility to that space."

And, Tyde said, for Novell to gain credibility in the Linux community means keeping consumer product on the shelves.

say Good Bye to Suse, hello Gentoo

Beverwijk Netherlands

some more on this:

- Novell expands its open source commitment and will become the first to offer comprehensive Linux solutions for the enterprise from the desktop to the server
    - Novell will be the only $1 billion software company with a Linux distribution and the worldwide technical staff to support it
    - Novell/SUSE LINUX to become the world's largest supplier of desktop-to-server Linux solutions and technical support
    - Customers to gain worldwide technical support for enterprise Linux solutions from a company with more than 20 years of operating system experience
    - IBM and Novell to negotiate extensions to commercial agreement with Novell/SUSE LINUX to support the IBM eServer line
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !