Thread: mandrake install help

Unhappy mandrake install help

I am trying to install mandrake on my computer but have been having some problems. i get through the install to where i choose my packages and everything and the install starts but it take way to much time and doesnt finish and sometimes freezes. i know it shoudnt go this slow seeing how i have a 1100mhz processor, 256megs ram, and a 4.6 gig hard drive that in installing it on. i am useing redhat right now and it installed within one hour and installed almost all the packages. any help is appreciated.

Kryptonic

Did you actually go out and buy the mandrake software, or did you download the ISO's ? Because every once in awhile when i used to download the ISO's, it would be a corrupted ISO.. so your best bet for dependability and more easier and more software is to just go out and buy the linux distro that you want (well my opinion anyway)
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Which version of Mandrake are you trying to install, and which mode are you using, expert etc,? if you are installing everything it can be slow. Try a basic(using default settings) install, and add anything else after you have got Mandrake up and running
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

I am useing the ISO which i downloaded from http://www.linuxiso.org and i am doing the install not the expert install

Elite Hacker
    If you have tried multiple times to no avail it is probably corrupted ISO files. Although, when I first got my redhat9 cd I ordered from linuxcd.com it did not install. It turned out to be my cdrom drive. When I swapped it out it installed fine. I have probably installed it at least 10 times successfully since then when I had tried like 20 times before the cdrom switch to no avail. You probably have a good cdrom drive so I would say that it is a corrupt iso file like n01010010 said. Did you do an md5sum check on it to compare to the ones on the server you downloaded it from to make sure you got a good download. Another thing could be that it messed up during the burning process. Try to make sure that you don't run any other programs when the disks are burning. Hope you get it installed soon.

I would likely agree with the corrupted ISO thing, however, reading the words 'Mandrake' and 'cdrom' in the same sentence gave me a flashback of reading something along the lines of the new Mandrake 9.2 killing some LG cd-rom flashware... I'm sure this isn't the case, cuz from what I remember the computer would no longer read the cdrom drive, but yeah, like I said, a small flashback. lol.

I guess Mandrake doesn't have the media check option like RedHat does before the install ey? I think that was a good idea from RH to add that in. But yeah, definately check the md5sum on the ISO image, I have had corrupt downloads off their site a few times! (and others of course, but I get most of mine from them) Um, I'm sure you know about finger prints (Sorry, I work retail and its the first question I ask by habit, 'are there any fingerprints') I've forgotten about that a couple times too!

I dunno what else I can suggest (since I've basically repeated everything already suggested here anyways ), um, if its only Mandrake I'd agree with previous posts about the cdrom. I doubt its a memory problem (bad ram) if other OS's work. Any hardware conflicts? Shouldn't be, I find Linux very forgiving, but you never know. Sometimes stuff just ain't supported unfortunately, but again, I doubt that as RH works on it.

Anyways, gl, keep us informed!

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

Yea Mandrake doesnt have the media check like RedHat. Although It might be a bad cdrom seeing how when i built my computer i didnt buy a new Cdrom and grabbed one out of an old pentium 233 i had lying around so i will definatly be buying a cdrom soon.

Thanks
    Kryptonic

Elite Hacker
    Whoa, do you have two accounts? You are confusing me. And yes, if you just grabbed an old cdrom that is probably your problem. cdroms are pretty cheap these days so you shouldn't have to pay too much for a decent one. Hope that is the problem in the interest of you getting it installed when/if you buy a new cdrom.