Thread: dual p3 733MHz vs. p3 1000MHz

dual p3 733MHz vs. p3 1000MHz

will the dual CPU outperforms the single ... and how much faster should i expect it to be

In my opinion, I think the dual 733 would be faster. It can dedicate processes to different cpus thus making the load on the cpu's less. Plus if your board supports hyper threading, then it makes you system look like it has 2x as many cpu's as there is really installed. I have heard as hear say that when using hyper threading, the virutal cpu gives you 60% more processing power. For the true answer your looking for, you would have to run a bench mark tester.

I assume you referring that both of these cpu's are Pentium III's. another thing to consider is the comparison in size of the L1, L2 and L3 cache. 2 cpu's should give you a total of 2x as much cache memory and the 1ghz processor. The cache is used to process cpu instruction code. So the more cache you have the faster it can process the instruction requests.

Critter
    http://www.chrisstokes.com

I assume that you are talking "cooking" PIIIs not PIII Xeons?..............L3 cache can be a killer advantage.

Assuming ordinary Pentiums, or even Xeons for that matter, what are you running. Most boxes only have one processor, so the majority of software is optimised to run on one processor.

I am going back to NT4 days, but I have seen situations when a single fast processor outperformed two slower ones, even though they totalled more.

If your applications are not written to utilise multiple processors, you may not see any advantage at all.

Guess it all comes down to what you are wanting to use the system for, and with what applications.

Cheers

dual p3 733MHz is faster. also used by servers

Deadsane, that is not strictly true? Rabit does not tell us what the machine is for.

I agree that if you are running a server, the more processors the merrier. This is because server apps are designed to utilise multiple processors. [In general ]

The application I mentioned was a very sophisticated CAD tool, that (at that time) was written for single processor machines. Even though the total computing power of the twin processor machine was far greater, it did not utilise both processors efficiently, so did not perform as well as the single processor machine.

Rabit needs to decide what he is going to run on the box, and check if it will benefit from two processors? The application vendors will generally know the answer.

Cheers

Nihil, would the later windows family of O/S's support dual CPU's? I've never thought about it before.