Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NMAP 3.48 Tutorial - Lesson 3 - Common Output

What other tools do you have in mind for possible future tutorials? Nessus or dsniff possibly (hint* hint*). Thanks for your time in creating these, I look forward to future realeases.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Yes, Nessus, Dsniff, Snort and Hping.

All will come in time. I'm getting ready to begin the next tut in the NMAP series so keep your eyes open for that one.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Banned
    The result of running nmap is usually a list of interesting ports on the machine(s) being scanned (if any). The state is either "open", "filtered", or "unfiltered". Open means that the target machine will accept connections on that port. Filtered means that a firewall, filter, or other network obstacle is covering the port and preventing nmap from determining whether the port is open. Unfiltered means that the port is known by nmap to be closed and no fire wall/filter seems to be interfering with nmap's attempts to determine this.

man nmap does wonderful things including showing up a direct copy and paste

man nmap does wonderful things including showing up a direct copy and paste
    Yep, and reading is fundamental too: Please read the preface.

I will be borrowing verbage (in some cases) from the developer because I feel that the developer has worded things in such ways that I cannot improve upon. By no means is this a cut & paste tutorial but I would like to make everyone aware that I will be borrowing info where it makes sense.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Banned
    so basicly your "tutorial" is a copy and paste from the man pages with a scan in the middle, wow informative

so basicly your "tutorial" is a copy and paste from the man pages with a scan in the middle, wow informative
    Forgive him father (horse), he knows not what he speaks!
    Now get off your bum and download it! www.linuxISO.com

Nice job, espically w/ explaining the filter rules. I was a little bit shady on "unfiltered" but it has become a lot more clear now.

Elite Hacker
    So if filtered and unfiltered mean those things, then what does closed mean? Or is there no closed, because it seemed to be covered pretty well by filtered and unfiltered.

Yes, exactly. You are absolutely correct. Happy?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Methinks Rioter has been staring too long at his avatar......

I know it does strange things to this old body.....

Rioter: Chill..... Hoss made it quite clear what this was all about right up front...... We don't all have time to reinvent the wheel only to find that the first one was better......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides