Thread: How to determine OS of hosted site

How to determine OS of hosted site

So, I have this site at www.ledbythehart.com and I want to know what the OS is of the hosted server. I want to put mojo mail, the mailing list application on the server, but it's a UNIX based application, but I don't know if the server I am hosted off of is a UNIX, or Windows based server.

So, what can I do to determine that?

Thanks in advance.
    ...the scent of your hair as you twirl in your fingers, and the time on the clock, when we realized that it\'s so late, and this walk that we shared....together!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Umm... Are you hosting it? If not, ask the company that is hosting it. That would seem the most direct and easiest way. And I would think they won't be thrilled about you putting a mail list application on there. Might want to ask if they already have a feature like that.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Elite Hacker
    Looks to be Redhat linux. But as MsMittens says, you should just be able to contact the host and ask them what OS they are running. Yeah, I did a whois on your sites IP address, then typed the website given from that into Critter's netcraft site, and I would definetely say it's linux. Looks like you will be able to run your app.
    p.s. There are a lot of Texans on this board.

sometimes you can get lucky with this site.
    http://www.netcraft.com/

Netcraft didn't have any data for this site you looking for though. Its a good link at least to book mark.

Critter
    http://www.chrisstokes.com

Uh oh, I didn't think it'd be such a big deal. You'll have to excuse my, for lack of better words, "newbie-ness" but I am a graphics person, and to tell you the truth, this is my first time to ever design a site that I've actually paid for hosting. Usually, I'm brought in to design a site, but since this is my own, which I've never had (not counting those early days with the always leet tripod), I am learning as I go.

I'm emailing the support email right now. I basically just want a mailing list script so that when my family visits the site, they can sign up to receive updates about the site and so I can inform all of them when it goes live.

Thanks for the quick response and I appreciate your help.

Let's see what kind of response I get.
    ...the scent of your hair as you twirl in your fingers, and the time on the clock, when we realized that it\'s so late, and this walk that we shared....together!

If they don't provide decent rates on mailing lists, let me know. The company I've been with since 1996 has majordomo mailing list for a decent rate and their month charges for website isn't bad. Runs on FreeBSD IIRC.

Most paid web-hosting sites aren't kean about users installing mail programs (plus it's unlikely that your user account will have the appropriate permission). Heck, maybe they'll install it for you.. Ya never know..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Come to think of it, I'm probably up more of a creek than I originally had thought, now that you mentioned the users' permission concept: I don't pay for hosting.

I signed up for the 1and1.com free 3-yr deal and so I'm not paying for the host space. So, I guess, they most definitely wouldn't want me, a non-paying customer, installing any sort of remote applications to their server.

So, any suggestions? Any free scripts? Again, just to re-iterate but not repeat as to become too nagging for help...I am looking for a mailing list application of some kind, excluding Yahoo Groups. Maybe a cgi application? Perl? Spanish? Anything will do...

Thanks again everyone.

Well, you could have a web interface where people posting there have the message sent out to all users via bcc and with the website's email as the sender/receiver (thus hiding the list of people). I'd almost consider that the poor man's list. This is sorta what MSN does/did for their groups/lists.

I could imagine it in PHP fairly easily. Just do an interface to input the message, instead of posting it to the web, send it to database (for archives) and then have it use the mail() to forward it to users. You'd need some taint checks and such, make the emails plain rather than HTML based (HTML based emails tend to have hidden nasties in them). Shouldn't be that hard to make. I suppose you could do it in Perl (not my fav web language).

Ah ha, I see now. Those are some good suggestions Ms Mittens, unfortunately, I don't have any idea how to implement any of them. Like I said, I am a graphics guy, I mean, I can design a site to look magnificent, but to make it work, that's a whole different story. You want me to design you a wallpaper, done. You want me to design yourself a logo, double-done; you want me to design you a site, NO problem....but actually make it work, sorry.

I know of Perl and PHP, but as far as "designing" an interface and stuff of that nature, I'm afraid it is beyond my knowledge realm and I must again plead "newbie." Or better yet, "ignorant." I wish I understood what you are talking about, I mean, as far as English is concerned, I KNOW what you are saying, but when it comes to logic and implementation, you might as well speak in German with a Russian accent...I just don't know.

(sigh) I'm not sure what I am going to do. But I appreciate you offering your time and knowledge to this matter. I'll see what they say when they email me back.

Thanks again...

Jobber - If you go to hotscripts.com they have alot of free scripts in Perl and such for mailing. Usual each program also have install instructions so as to make it easy.

Adiz