starting a web-download from cmd line

Thread: starting a web-download from cmd line

starting a web-download from cmd line

ia there a way to start a download of a file from a command line?

It depends really, in windows the most you can do to my knowledge from the command line is initiate a FTP download. In Linux however you can do alot more, you can start a download with CVS, Lynx/Links, FTP, Wget, and there are even some command line p2p apps.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

you can ftp to the site, but i belive as for a command like "download http://files.com/file.zip" one does not exist without having to download an EXE and installing it.

FTP COMMANDS

!
    delete
    literal
    prompt
    send
    ?
    debug
    ls
    put
    status
    append
    dir
    mdelete
    pwd
    trace
    ascii
    disconnect
    mdir
    quit
    type
    bell
    get
    mget
    user
    binary
    glob
    mkdir
    recv
    verbose
    bye
    hash
    mls
    remotehelp
    cd
    help
    mput
    rename
    close
    lcd
    open
    rmdir
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Elite Hacker
    This was at the nessus website:
    CAUTION: don't run this command unless you want nessus installed on your computer.
    Code:
     lynx -source http://install.nessus.org | sh
    CAUTION: don't run this command unless you want nessus installed on your computer.
    Also if you do want nessus installed on your computer I suggest you go to their site and read because they also gave this caution about this command:
    The easy and dangerous way (ala ximian gnome)
    If you are installing Nessus from a computer directly connected to the internet that has lynx installed, type this command (NOT as root! ) :

lynx -source http://install.nessus.org | sh

This method is considered as dangerous in the sense that if you do it, you are running commands that directly come from the internet. If someone is poisoning your domain name server, he may have you execute arbitrary commands as the user you will type this command as. The good point is that it completely automates the installation of Nessus, so if you are not under attack, you'll save some time.
    I guess you would do something similar to that to download something from a site with lynx. Maybe try lynx /? or man lynx. Hope this helped.

FOR WINDOWS:

I have seen some command line file transfers other than ftp...

SecureTransport Clients
    SecureTransport provides one of the broadest arrays of client access solutions in the file transfer market. The clients cover the range of needs, from ad-hoc interactive transfers through Web browser to fully automated batch transfer jobs on mainframe platforms.
    Windows Client
    A small client with the GUI and command line capabilities, it can be downloaded and installed in minutes. It provides all of the reliability and security features, including smartcard authentication, supports HTTP/S and FTP/SSL transfers with multiple connection profiles, and offers batch capabilities and a built-in scheduler for automated, scheduled transfers with full calendar support for multiple events.
    http://www.valicert.com/products/ST_...s.html#windows

Be prepared to shell out some cash of course...

ON LINUX: People have already given you some options.

COMBINATION OF BOTH:

You could always log into a shell, download files needed, then transfer your files back to the windows box. ssh would be good for this, along with smb or ftp.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

on the lynx thing..... leave the |sh out. If you don't know what you are posting then don't post.

Your best bet on a linux system is to use wget which comes with most distros. For general internet browsing while in CLI mode then lynx ofcourse.

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

rcgreen: how sweet is that? I didn't know they had wget for m$...

Thanks!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

In fact there is a whole suite of utilities

http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

Win32 ports of common unix utilities.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

In linux you can use wget as rcgreen already mentioned. Use it like this:

[shadow]OpenGL rules the game[/shadow]http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=499