Thread: File

Banned

File

Ok here is the problem. I installed MacroMedia fireworks and set all .bmp .jpeg and .gif
    files to open with it. They still opened with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer but the icon
    was from Fireworks. So then I uninstalled Fireworks and the picture icon didn't go back to
    the normal "Windows picture" icon but to the "unknow file icon". When i double clicked a
    picture it still opened in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Then i wanted to edit one .bmp
    and save it as a .jpeg file ( as you know the file size decrease from 300KB to like 70 KB when it is in .jpeg format.) When i saved the file to a .jpeg file with Paint the icon was stilla "unknown file icon" and when i double clicked the picture the "with what program would you like to open this file with" box poped up. So i choose Windows Picture and Fax Viewer but couldn't set it to open in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer everytime because the check box was dimmed. The file opened just fine but i can'y insert the file in any e-mail because id doesnt recognize it as a picture file. Then i tried to change the extension to .jpeg and the icon stayed the same but it opened imediately with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. So is this a Paint problem? Because i know it worked everytime when i saved a file as .jpeg and now it doesn't. Or is there any tweak so i could set every .bmp .gif and .jpg file to open with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer? I'm gettin annoyin to change the extension to .jpg when i save a file with Paint. And i checked the properties of the file . I included a screenshot of what im talkin about.

Banned
    What might help me ? Oh come on you though i didn't know that registry can screw your computer up? I mess with the registry all the time and i know what i'm doing. I was just askin is there a specific entry i can modify.

edit: h3r3tic deleted his post i was replyng to.

and just how does this affect the security of your computer?

Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Elite Hacker
    here you go, sorry my image was too big the first time.

Tedob1, I know the answer, it doesn't. I was thinking that when I read this post. Is it possible for a member to move their own post or does a mod have to do it.

What might help me ?
    Open Windows Explorer, select Tools, Folder Options, then click on the File Types tab. Find the file extention and select the default program for the file type. Some of these may still be pointing at a non-existent application.

and just how does this affect the security of your computer?
    Uh ... knowing that Macromedia doesn't clean up after itself well on uninstall?

Did I win something?

Banned
    both of your suggestion worked. But then i tried something else. I Installed Fireworks again and then uninstalled it but i say no to the " Delete preferences Fireworks has made to your computer?" and everything worked fine afterwords. The icons are still MM Fireworks icons but at least when i save a .jpeg file it opens immediately. TX Guys. and Tedob i don't think every question in the Newbie Security Question Forum is a Security related question.

try restarting your computer after installing and selecting to open with fireworks?

Just another post, if you can find the program Tweak UI, it has a bunch of well tweaks for your Windows system. One of them happens to be rebuild icons. I love the program, and it saves you a good bit of registry searching time.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Memory, if you want a good picture converter (free), try Irfanview. It does a great job for me and has batch conversions for pic. type as well as rename. I had it set as default viewer at one time, but when I did my last reinstall, I have kept it to just being on call. But thats just me.
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown