Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M$ puts a price on their heads...

Old Fart

M$ puts a price on their heads...

Technology news service CNET News.com reported late on Tuesday that the software giant would offer $500,000 for information leading to the arrest of the writers of two of the costliest computer bug outbreaks to hit the Internet.

Computer experts contacted by Reuters across Europe confirmed a cash reward was on the cards.

The bugs wreaked havoc across the world in August and September, attacking computers that run on Microsoft Windows operating systems.

A Microsoft spokeswoman in London said only that a press conference would be held on Wednesday in Washington at 10 a.m. EST where a Microsoft legal counsel and investigators from the FBI, U.S. Secret Service and Interpol would make a statement
    OK....now I KNOW I wandered into a black hole and came out in a parallel universe or alternate reality.....

From Reuters News Service....
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Wow, I'm shocked, M$ will spend that much money on something they know is not gonna give them an ROI, lol.

I'm sure two less virus writers aren't going to make the internet a safer place to be.
    People properly securing they're systems, and companies producing quality code will.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Instead of spending $500,000 to catch the virus writers, why don't they put that money towards plugging the holes that allow theses things to infect. Or maybe put it towards lowering the outrageous prices they charge for software. Like Pure said, two less virus writers doesn't mean anything, we need to stop it at the source.

And Allen, I've been in an alternate reality for years, it's not bad once you get used to it, lol.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

I guess they have to find someone to blame for their flaws. LOL!
    - Boyam

I'm not necessarily a fan of Microsoft but its the same as any reward...someone robs or destroys ur property or something, you set a reward to have the criminal caught and done justice. Its not blaming anyone or gonna make they're software better. I always cap on microsoft too but sayin "they should put that 250 thousand to they're OS to make it better" they've got billions of dollars. i dunno...i'm just sayin i dont see anything wrong with it..its just the same as puttin out a reward for a vandalizer in ur community or something

Well, let me get my feet wet, M$ should give me the money and I can find two people to take the blame for the attack, they would probably live in some arab country where they couldn't be extradited from and they would receive part of the reward after I proved they were the ones that committed the attack
    Imagination is greater than intelligence when referring to intricate things, the reason why is that if you can\'t imagine how something works, how do you expect to understand it and therefore to know anything about it.

Imagination, Precious

Well I think that this is a good thing they are doing, money causes people to do strange things, and not only may this tempt somene to tell on there buddies for 250,000$ but this will also maybe scare some future worm writers, knowing that M$ is willing to pay for them to be found. Let us not forget that M$ money is pretty much endless. And this may not improve their security, but this will send a message, "***** with us, you go to prison". Go M$.
    --Kristoph

Micro$oft owns you...all your base are belong to us

It's aPublic Relations Exercise. And a very cheap way for MS to show that they DO care about their systems' security... After the fact!

It is interesting to see Microsquish doing this. It would also be interesting as Red_Asphalt stated, to see if the hackers turn on each other.

I also wonder if this is a spin attempt by M$ to show it is "getting tough" with hackers.

FYI - a similiar news article from the AP via SecurityFocus:

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/7371
    \"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?\"
    -Juvenal