Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lagging net

Lagging net

My internet runs on a dial-up connection and it says that it's running at 44Kbps, but its really lagging. When I type something, it won't show for 10 to 15 seconds. My dad thinks it's a virus but I'm not sure. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Use an Anti Virus. Such as Panda Anti Virus, Norton 2004 Pro, or just do a google search on Free Anti Viruses. Scan your computer if it doesn't find anything then it's your connection or the OSP is just slow.

Don't forget to download and run SpyBot or some other spyware tool. Spyware can seriously delay dialup connections.

http://spybot.eon.net.au/index.php?l...&page=download

Your getting 44k a second on dialup? That is fast. I can only usually get 4-6k per second on dialup around here. (Which is why I have broadband now) Or is that just the speed of the modem? I would suggest running Spybot as Rapier suggested and make sure there are no programs like Kazaa running.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Banned
    i think he mean it connects at 44KB which is pretty slow, mine connect at 115kb (maximum modem speed)

Just a slight comment, the fastest download you'll get off of dial-up is about 4 Kb/s.

Sad but true. Plus you may have spyware and adware clogging the bandwith. Any number of things jump onto your internet connection. Run ad-aware, it's available on download.com.

edit: I just realized the spyware thing had been posted. Sorry for the double suggestion.

I ran ad-aware on a computer that had been unprotected for only an hour, brand new installation of everything, ad-aware found 16 things.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Just a slight comment, the fastest download you'll get off of dial-up is about 4 Kb/s.
    Gah, here we go again... please people, use the right units: you mean the maximum download speed would be 4KB/s (KiloBYTES/s) on a 56kbps or Kb/s (KiloBITS/s)...

i think he mean it connects at 44KB which is pretty slow, mine connect at 115kb (maximum modem speed)
    What kind of modem/connection is that? ISDN? Because in america (ie: the continent) AFAIK, the max bandwith for a regular POTS landline connection is 56kbps (acutally regulated by FCC i think to 46kbps (something like that)).

Back to the original question:
    When I type something, it won't show for 10 to 15 seconds.
    Type something where? In what application?
    If it was in a telnet prompt or such, it could indicate a problem with the internet connection.
    However, I doubt you're talking about a telnet, ssh or such: if it does that in any unrelated app (notepad, word, anytype of text box), and only while connected to the net, it problably means you have some malware running on your computer, stealing processing power and bandwith...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Thank god Ammo.. sence in the thread..

Memory 115kb dialup??.. .. thats the speed your computer is communicating with the Modem.. not your modem to the ISP..

LEarn the difference in your units of measurement guy's.
    You have:
    1/ Bits persecond
    2/ Baud
    then when you hav too many zero's you start using things like kBits/sec and k baud....
    Most dial up is 56k Baud max down is 56kBaud and up is approx 33kBaud
    you measure your transfer in BITS per second.. my regular dialup download spped was 5.8 k Bits per second (kb/s)..

As for the problem.. As already stated..
    Spy ware removal vis Spybot S&D, Adaware (and get the latest updates for which ever you choose),
    AntiVirus .. you have a choice of online scanns, free AV (aka AVG from Grisoft), and the mentioned commercial progs..
    RTFM
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Banned
    Yeah i got messed up there...

Mine download sometimes at 20 KB and i watched the download speed because sometimes it just says 20kb/s but it download like 5kb/s but this one time it really did download 20 kilobytes per second. My bad for the 115 mistake.

Cnet offers a Bandwidth Meter to test your Connection Speed at that time....

http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/

Raju