WiFi

Thread: WiFi

WiFi

Hey guys,

Just wondered if any1 can help me on this?

I have a laptop connected to a cable modem (running at 512kb/s - possibly upgrading soon to 1MB/s connection).

I want wireless internet access through this with my laptop, and i need to know what exactly i need. I've tried researching a whole host of pages, but all come up with slightly different things.

All i need to know is what i need to be able to do this, and if any1 knows any links for the h/w i need, that would also help a lot - thanks in advance.

Laptop Spec

P4 2.4
    512 MB RAM
    64MB Vid Card
    40 MB HD
    Card slot
    Firewire port
    Network Card

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Umm.. what OS are you using? Different OSes are "easier" at using Wireless than others.

Generally speaking, the more "common" wireless hardware is NetGear, Linksys and D-Link. And if IIRC, 802.11b is the more common wireless protocol whereas 802.11g is faster albeit not as "interoperable" as the other variants. You will need some type of access point in addition to the PCMCIA card.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Running Win XP - any advice is appriciated

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Pretty much any of the 3 companies I mentioned above seem to be good bets. I've seen success by many colleagues with those ones on Windows (any Windows version/Nic card combination and it seems all good).

IMHO, the trickier OS when it comes to wireless is Linux and that's more of what I was concerned about when you asked the question. Epinions might be helpful at giving some reviews on various cards: http://www.epinions.com/Network_Adap..._Card-Wireless
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

So i need a card for my laptop and some sort of transmitter that connects into my cable modem box?

Any1 know any UK based sites?

Thanks MS M !!

I am running an M$ MN-500 wireless base station, pain to set up but it works great. bought it on ebay for about half of retail. and xbox has a new wireless card out, my girlfreind doesn't much like the rj45 running across the living room floor!