Was just windering about xp operta......

Thread: Was just windering about xp operta......

Was just windering about xp operta......

IF you baught an operating system.

and you have about 3 computers @ home.
    could i register all of them? and go on the internet on both of them?
    Will it be ligegale or iligale ?

For EX. those chickens that are letting us upload there files in kazaa like operating systems,
    lets say you downloaded Xp pro and got a serial w/ it and could I register it?
    I will that be illegal?

Thankxs I must be allitle stupid but I'm learning
    and sorry for spelling.
    Daniil Usachev

Elite Hacker
    You probably could register it, but it would be illegal. If you want to install an operating system from one disk on multiple computers look into linux.
    www.linux.org
    www.distrowatch.com
    www.linuxiso.org

OK, what I think you are asking is, 'If I buy an OS, can I install that one copy on 3 computers and register them all under the same license?'

My answer:
    1) If its Linux, yes you can. Its free
    2) If its Windows, no. I have yet to see a copy you can buy where the license allows multiple machine installs. The only M$ product I've seen allowing 3 installs was the new Student version of Office 2003 I think. I dunno, unless the ad was wrong.

Was that what you were asking?
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

Banned
    You can buy a license from Microsoft, would be much cheaper then buyin multuple copies. Like for example schools, they buy Office XP (one copy) and install it on let's say only Teacher Machines, microsoft allows that but you have to buy some form of a license from M$.

yahh I ment buying 1 os and installingit on about 3 computer.

How about this, buying 1 os and installing it in the same computer twice otherwords 2 os that are the same, like on for my bro, and 1 for myself.

Thanks for everything

You guys are the best
    Daniil Usachev

Banned
    Why? If you want your brother to not have acces to your files just create another user ex."Brother" and Deny Acces to the folder you dont want him to see. Or if you dont want him to mess anything up just set his account as "limited" and yours as "administrator" so he can't make any major changes to your computer.

You can buy a license from Microsoft, would be much cheaper then buyin multuple copies. Like for example schools, they buy Office XP (one copy) and install it on let's say only Teacher Machines, microsoft allows that but you have to buy some form of a license from M$.
    Can you even buy a single license? I've only purchased multiple licenses...

For some reason, I thought that the minimum amount you could purchase was 5....???

For instance...

http://smb.insight.com/web/static/li...censing_ms.php

Open Business

• Designed for small to medium businesses with 5-500 PC's
    The minimum you can get is 5...

However, if you are a college student visit your bookstore, you can buy XP Pro for around $99

Either that, or purchase the upgrades (assuming you already have 98 or above)... "save" about $100 per copy.

Or save $200-300 and learn to use and utilize linux.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Actually you can install 98 on as many computers as you want. I was talking with someone at microsoft about getting all the computers at my facility licensed and she told me that if it was 98SE or under and I bought one disk I didn't need to. This also goes along with networking. But M$ has people by the balls. You not only have to pay to lisence the individual but if you use server you need to lisence them for server access too. It blows.

But if you can start on Linux I would do it!

I have had a look around my stuff. I bought Win2000 Pro Server and additions..............it is licenced for 5 machines, 1 server and 5 workstations (guess that is the bottom line?)

Looking at older operating systems, it would seem that they are for one machine, but you only licence one OS purchase to one machine..........so if you put 10 versions on the one machine.........you have paid for and registered it?. This would be OK.......but, as already asked...why?

I think that my NT4 is for 2 machines?.........home/laptop & office? I could not find the book..........sorry about that.

I am in the UK, so our laws are different?

Cheers