Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does one report dangerous emails?

Question Where does one report dangerous emails?

[gloworange]This is glowing orange. nice.[/gloworange]

A co-worker of mine asked me if there was some "place" he should
    report suspicious emails. This was not the garden-variety stamina
    or elargment pills type, this was a pretty elaborate hoax which included his
    full name, partial address and some other personal information that
    is not usually included in your cookie cutter spam.

He was wondering if there was a place to report this?
    I didn't see the email but it sounded like a request for detailed
    banking information or some such thing.
    It didn't sound like the same trouble as the banks in the UK were experiencing
    where fake sites were set up, you could contact the banks themselves...
    I suppose I should get more info before posting, but
    IS there a facility?

The FBI?
    I drank what?

the police...fbi...any enforcment agency???

the police...fbi...any enforcment agency???
    Yeah, any of those. Also, do not delete the mail, just keep it in a separate folder from your normal stuff. If it requires investigation, your ISP, law enforcement, or local sys admin, will need to get the complete header and other information from the email.

Old Fart
    www.ftc.gov has an email link to forward spam to, if I recall correctly.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Sounds like it might be something more. Privacy invasion perhaps. But I wonder if any law enforcement agency would be able to do anything if there is no law to protect Privacy.

e.g. http://www.privacyinternational.org/survey/dpmap.jpg

[edit] http://www.privacyinternational.org/survey/ <-- ack. Forgot to include this. The reason this comes to mind is that I was having this discussion this evening with a colleague. I'd hate to suggest it, while you should inform your local authorities (fraud laws should be the discussion, not privacy), unless money has been taken/swindled there may not be a lot that the authorities can or will do. [/edit]
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi Ms. M.

It looks like a scam "per se", so I would suggest the FBI computer crimes unit (yes, even from here ) the FEDS seem to do a good job, pity they do not dress as well as the RMCP

Sorry MsM..............just my poor sense of humour?

Good Luck

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hehe.. RCMP are "thexy". Gotta love a man in uniform..

At least they decided not to use Disney any more to promote them.

It is important to report it to the appropriate authorities. The problem is who looks after fraud and what's the range of particular email? If the origin is in another US State and/or other country, then the Feds would be a good choice. If, however, it's within the same state, then local authorities or state police would make more sense. You may need to be persistent. They tend not to consider this serious unless people lose money (usually has to be over a certain amount like $5,000).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Actually I was just talking to a chap that confirmed the inability of the feds to be able to handle even the simplest of computer crimes.... sad, but not entirely unexpected.

This scam is a little more "intrusive" than the newer one, (phishing), where you get the email that looks like ebay for example and asks you to re-enter your personal details. This one already has some of them. It implies some knowledge..... which, in itself, implies either a deep "dig" for the information about the intended victims _or_ a system with non-"dangerous" personal information has been cracked and now they are "phishing" for the "good stuff"...... With the knowledge of some of the information the 'hit" rate will be higher making this a much more dangerous attack.....

I, for one, will be warning my users about this tomorrow.......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

i dunno bout that one tiger...a popular story is where that lady sent a scam email to a fbi guy and they nailed her good...i guess it just has to hit them personally to actually get them to do something right or do something at all. The storie links r below:

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/7018
    http://www.securityfocus.com/news/7329

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Def: Well, jeez.... I have a cat that can determine the source of a regular email sent to it..... That's hardly "super-sleuthing" now is it?????

Ok, the bit about the cat could be a teeny fib..... But you get my point.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides