Thread: Laptop connection problem

Exclamation Laptop connection problem

Well guys here i am again in need of the communities help. I have two running computers right now. One just a regular Win98 box and the other a laptop running win98. They are both plugged into a hub which is plugged into my dsl modem. The box gets internet fine which is how im on it right now. But the laptop is having trouble. When IE is searching for a web site it will say at the bottom: finding site: and then give me the websites IP adress. but it wont go any further. I assume this means i have some sort of connection to the net if im able to see a remote IP adress. But im stumped. Any help?
    No place like 127.0.0.1

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    How many IPs was assigned by your ISP (assuming you are not using private addressing)? Do you have and keep an IP address?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

With DSL an cable (unless you pay extra) you don't always get a static IP.

So I would first make sure you have a static (unchanging) or dynamic IP address. I would then see what my network places are set at (specify IP or get automatically). I would then make sure it is all set correctly. If it doesn't work I would call the DSL company explain your problem they would be able to help ya.

**A problem may be in your router. Did you configure for your DSL line or are you just trying to plug it in, sometimes it needs configuring.**

Another idea to bypass this problem would be to create a small network and just run off of your Boxes internet access (I would do this incase your DSL ISP won't let you have two comps connected I don't know why they wouldn't allow it). I hope this helps.

Adiz

Thanks for the ideas guys. Actually what happened is i was looking for the tech support phone number and ended up finding a registration site so i decided to see if i could hit that because i couldn't get anything else. It worked and so I think i registered my MAC adress or something; released and renewed and now its all good. YIPEE I fixed it!
    Time to make like a stoned high school kid in the principals office and get the **** outta here.
    PEACE!
    No place like 127.0.0.1