Thread: Digital Video Port Help

Digital Video Port Help

Hey AO, haven't posted in a while but I have a question that you guys can definetly help with. I've been installing digital video security systems with a private investigator locally. The systems allow you to be at any remote location with the software installed and monitor the system, i.e. from a laptop at home. The problem is that it allows me to set any port that I want on the security system. I set them to 8000 but I was wondering if there was a better port for video and security. I have no problem with forwarding through the router etc...but I'm not to savy with the port choice???

Thanks
    neta1o
    ][ neta1o ][

As long as it's an unused port there really is no difference between the ports. There is no more or less secure port. The security is based entirely on encryption and the service running on the port.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    DoppelGanger: I disagree. The choice of ports does make a difference, especially in this case.

Neta1o: I would move it off 8000. 8000 is used by a fair few apps to "hide" an alternative http connection and the apps it accesses are often control/config apps for other things thus making them "targets"

I know my network is frequently scanned for 8000 and any response would elicit interest. Pick a random number under 10,000 and search google with the phrase "port xxxx" where xxxx is your number. If you find nothing on google that refers to TCP/IP port then it would be a good one to use. For example searching for "port 6121" gave me this result. Now thats a good port..... Nothing to do with TCP/IP up there except one little mention of UDP port 6121 half way down the first page..... So you can bet that people don't "normally" waste their time scanning for it

Your application is a security application...... Nothing is secure if the application isn't.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Thanks for the info, Tiger Shark, I didn't know about the use of the port. I'll remember that in the future.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.