Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Administrator

Administrator

My computer is running on a Windows 2000 Professional op system. I was downloading nero because adaptec wouldn't load and I got all the way to the file extraction and then it said I needed administrator privileges to finish downloading this file. I logged onto my administrator settings but I can't find the privileges . Does anyone know where to look?

Once you log in as administrator you have the privileges. Just continue downloading the file.

But where is the privilege file located so I can give the default user downloading privileges?

I know that, but what I want to know is where is the privilege file located so I can give the default user the downloading privileges?

Windows doesn't store its access control list in a file that is accessible to the user. In order to assign administrative privileges to a user other than the administrator:

open up Computer Management in the Administrative Tools folder
    go to Local Users and Groups, which is near the top of the tree in the management console
    open up the Local Users folder
    double-click on the user who you want to modify
    choose the Member Of tab
    Click Add and then type in "Administrators"

It's probably not the best thing to have your normal-use user account be an administrator, but this is how you would do it.

-- bdr

It's probably not the best thing to have your normal-use user account be an administrator, but this is how you would do it.
    This is a understatment -

Since windows does NOT allow you to simply assign a user the 'privilage to download' as you seem you would like to add - you would have to give him 'FULL' administrative privilages to accomplish this.

Doing that, then anytime you or anyone else uses this user account, its the same thing as them being logged on as the administrator. Thus you loose all the security benefits of having seperate user and admin accounts - and open yourself up to many more vulnerabilities...

RRP

What vulnerabilities will I might ecounter? If I do, what will they do to my computer?

Well since Administrators have rights to do all sorts of things, system changes, load software, and things like that. If you get a virus or something exploits your system under the current user's credentials then it would have administrative access to your machine. Effects can be extremely damaging. Just immagine all of the bad things you can do to your own computer while logged in as an administrator. Use your administrator account to administer, and you user account to use. Pretty simple
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563

Why can't you just Install Nero with the Admin account?

use linux instead....nuff said

I know I might sound like an ass but to me it sounds like it is a somewhat clever way to ask how he can give himself admin privs, on a machine that someone may accedently leave logged on admin. If this is true you did a good job. If not ignore my paranoid comments. lol
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com