Fun security thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun security thread

Fun security thread

Ok, I'm sick of all the threads on the main page being **** heads looking for free tech support, so I'm making a thread with the purpose of being fun yet security related. For example, I was testing out a firewall one time when I was drunk and accidently crashed my box. It was a dumb ass mistake but I learned my lesson.

Or, another example, when Microsoft released a new patch for IE one day, I was updating my Windows box with the new patch and IE crashed while it was installing.

Or have any of you got any funny stories? I remember one member said a crane drove through a wall one time at his work place while he was flashing the BIOS. Thats kinda funny. Anyone else care to join in on this? I'm just bored as hell right now and thought this would be fun.

A few days ago I got flooded with ICMP packets by some retard who wanted to use my nickname on an IRC-server (Lame?).
    Im on a 2,5 MBits/s line and he's on a 10 MBits/s line so he totally blocked my access...
    So these packets hits my firewall, I log the ip and start to check it out some... Belive it or not, there is a webserver at that ip wich has contact information on it... like the punks name, where he lives, what he does for a living, **** even his mothers name is there. I check the phonebook for his number, I report him to his Isp and the next time I get really drunk I will give him a call and say what I dont dare to say when Im sober =)
    .sig - There never was a .sig?
    I own a Schneider EuroPC with MS-Dos 3.3 and it works.

I worked at this computer leasing company. I would fix the computers when they came back on lease, and manage the network. The guy that owned the company knew **** about computers. The topology he installed in the company's network is one that still has me laughing. Get this, every workstation is equiped with a network switch to go from network A to network B network A is connected to the company's file server, while network B is connected to a Broadband connection (i believe a T1 or T3). He thought that since you had to switch networks, that this kept the machines totaly secure. He couldn't figure out how the file server got a virus on it. Even after I explained to him many times that the virus spread to the file server from one of the workstations he didn't get it. Finally I quit.

So a backhoe driver across the street from my old work got alittle peeved with his foreman and decided to dig where he wasn't supposed to and WHAM!! he hits a big underground electrical line and barely makes it off the backhoe when the forks melted off the bucket.

That's probably the funniest and most interesting thing I've ever seen just having a smoke break......

Good thing he didn't take out my side of the street or I would've walked over and kicked his smoking ass all the way down the street.....
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I got two funny little stories:

1. I used to work for a small furniture company. The owner believed himself to be quite computer literate. One day, the CMOS battery started to die, so we lost the HD settings, etc. I found him trying to fix the problem himself. After the battery was in, he started entering random numbers in the HD parameters and adjusting settings that shouldn't be played with. Once he finally left, it took me 2 minutes to fix the original problem, and 45 minutes to fix what he did.

2. After that incident, the owner decided it was time for an upgrade. He paid $125/hr for a "professional" to come in and set up the new computer (it was a used one running 98SE). Since the computer didn't have a mouse with it at the time, the "proffesional" couldn't transfer the software. She was convinced that Windows only works if you have a mouse. I had to drive home and get one for her to use.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

had a nice one when i first tried to set up my linux box as a router / gateway on a home LAN, had a firewal on the linux box and firewalls o the windoze boxes.....
    took me 3 months to work out why the windoze boxes couldnt get on the net... the firewalls were blocking each others connections, boi did i feel really stoopid about that
    Just wait till i get my slappin gloves on.....

I had a bunch of Pc's on a Lan once, but I couldn't ever shar files on this one computer. It took me 2 weeks to finally remember that I had Norton firewall running. I put my network in the trusted zone, and everything worked great.
    =

When i first bought my Linksys router i thought that when you log into it there is no password and it lets you right in and you set your own.. Little did i know there was a default password and it was right in the manual ! heh i felt dumb but the moral of the story is it pays off sometimes to RTFM heh..
    btw: great idea for a new thread gore
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Hehe, thanks for all the replies guys. It sounds like we have all had at least one good funny story happen. Right now Im recording over a few things on a red/blue/silver box I made a while back and thinking of what fun Im going to have with operators tommorrow Not like ebing mean or anything, just some fun that wont really harm anyone or get anyone in trouble Thanks again guys, loving the stories.

a friend bought a CISCO router at ebay.
    it tooks him 2 month to get it working...
    he said all he had to do was to type the little word "enable".
    could this be or was he just kidding??
    Industry Kills Music.