kazaa and aim

Thread: kazaa and aim

Elite Hacker

kazaa and aim

I have 2 questions

1. How come if I run a web server I have to poke a hole in my firewall(hardware firewall in d-link router) and route it to the correct local ip, but when kazaa or aim are running nothing has to be done to the firewall and nothing has to be done to route requests to the correct machine?

2. I have a few computers and one of them is the family computer. At some point in the past I must have had the family computer save my logon and password for this site. All you have to do is type the first letter of my nickname and your in my account because it fills in the rest for you. How do I get rid of this? I have heard some people say a friend has gotten on their account and assigned a bunch of ap's and I don't want that to happen. I have tried going to internet options and deleting cookies/temp int files/history, but that didn't work. What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

You need to poke a hole in your firewall and map it to the local IP because chances are you are running some sort of address translation. Either NAT or PAT. you need the hole in your firewall so people on the net can reach your server. Since the connection was not initiated from the inside, the Firewall won't...well shouldn't allow the connection. This hole allows people to connect to your webserver. If this webserver is for internal use only, then you shouldn't have to map anything. just http://<local IP> should work.

In terms of the username being filled in, I'm not sure what OS you are using, but sounds like it's XP. check your account properties and turn-off auto-fill if you can. I can't remember where to turn that off, but when I find it..i'll post it here.

hope I could help.

laters.

*EDIT*
    with kazaa and aim, you actually initiate the connection from your local pc, so the firewall will build a translation to where you need to go and keep track of it. Once that connection is established, traffic can go int and out as it pleases. Obivsously this isn't true if you have ACLs or anyother checks in place other than just a standard firewall.
    t.e.k.n.o.

Banned
    Ok to clear the second one, you have to clear all your cookies. Your password is saved in your cookies. It should be there.

Now let me take a swing at the first question. I am not sure about this, but it makes a bit of since to me.

First in both cases you are opening a port. But in the Kazaa. and AIM you are connecting to a server.

Where in the other you are leaving it so people can connect. Therefore you are the server.

Elite Hacker
    Thank you tekno and whizkid. That is pretty much what I thought whizkid. I have actually used zone alarm before and you have to give kazaa permission to access the net or act as a server, and I guess the same goes for aim although I don't use it. I just thought it was wierd that the hardware firewall just allowed this no questions asked.
    Thanks again for the replies.

no prob.
    t.e.k.n.o.