CCNA help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCNA help

Post CCNA help

which study guide to get Cisco Press or Sybex ? any reasons for the preferred one

Are you registered with a school or doing the CCNA on your own? If you have access to the online curriculum and a class to help you though it, that's all you really need. Sybex has a nice layout, I've used it before but I can't say that I've ever touched the Cisco Press version. Also buy the textbooks, they have a shitload of information in them (not all of value, but good none-the-less). Check out places like www.r1r2.com or some of the free router sims (there are links in other threads, or just search places like www.download.com ). If you have some money to blow, you can buy some nice kits from http://www.knowledgecomputers.net/kits.html. There are plenty of options out there, the study guides aren't necessarily the best way to go.
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    Are you registered with a school or doing the CCNA on your own? If you have access to the online curriculum and a class to help you though it, that's all you really need. Sybex has a nice layout, I've used it before but I can't say that I've ever touched the Cisco Press version. Also buy the textbooks, they have a shitload of information in them (not all of value, but good none-the-less). Check out places like www.r1r2.com or some of the free router sims (there are links in other threads, or just search places like www.download.com ). If you have some money to blow, you can buy some nice kits from http://www.knowledgecomputers.net/kits.html. There are plenty of options out there, the study guides aren't necessarily the best way to go.
    i'm self studying CCNA.

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: CCNA help

Originally posted here by Death_Knight
    which study guide to get Cisco Press or Sybex ? any reasons for the preferred one
    The new CCNA v3.0 has quite a few curriculum changes over the previous version, so just check anything you buy references v 3.0. I am using the companion guide as it closely follows the Academy Program, and it is a change when you get tired or bored with the on-line studying. Apart from that I agree with the advice from HTRegz. I have attached a copy of a recent e-mail from Cisco, which addresses some of the comments made about the new version

Good luck with your studies

Hm... between Cisco Press or Sybex which one would be a better choice for a study guide

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Hm... between Cisco Press or Sybex which one would be a better choice for a study guide
    I would'nt like to recommend how you should go about your studies, as I think that it is a matter of personal choice, I am only saying how I am doing it through the CNAP. As HTRegz has said, there is a wealth of options, consider them all, and choose what you think is best suited to your needs

Hmmm.. i never touch on any real cisco routers before... just doing the CCNA labs using router stimulator is it enough is there really a need to buy router?

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Hmmm.. i never touch on any real cisco routers before... just doing the CCNA labs using router stimulator is it enough is there really a need to buy router?
    A router is not a requirement for the CCNA

Originally posted here by jm459

A router is not a requirement for the CCNA
    you mean router stimulation will do the job ?

AO's Mr Grumpy

you mean router stimulation will do the job ?
    Correct
    Please go to the following link, and you will get an indication of what is required

http://cisco.netacad.net/public/acad...alog/CCNA.html

Course Overview
    Curriculum Demos - CCNA Curriculum Demos Available In:
    CCNA 3.0
    Course 1 Demo
    Course 2 Demo
    Course 3 Demo
    Course 4 Demo