Research model of Internet -- to destroy it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Research model of Internet -- to destroy it

Research model of Internet -- to destroy it

Researchers to build model of Internet -- to destroy it

By CARRIE KIRBY
    SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

A team of professors from the University of California-Berkeley and University of Southern California has received a $5.46 million grant to build one of the most realistic models of the Internet -- and then wreck it with debilitating hacker attacks.

Working with researchers from Network Associates Laboratories and other institutions, the team is trying to answer questions with major national security implications: What would really happen if the Internet were hit with an attack bigger than the Nimda or Slammer worms? Could we fight it with existing technology?

Or would everything connected to the Internet, from private e-mail boxes to automatic teller networks to power plants, topple like a house of cards?

They can't do the experiments that would answer these questions on the real Internet, because "you can't afford to break it," said Shankar Sastry, chairman of UC-Berkeley's Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences and the project's principal investigator.

So the researchers, with funding from the National Science Foundation and the Department of Homeland Security, are building their own little Internet that can sustain disabling attacks again and again with no consequences to the outside world. By February, the first node of the network will be online at USC, and by spring experiments will be running on the network.

The goals are to provide more information to policy-makers who are trying to set the national agenda for network security, as well as to help industry come up with more-effective defenses against hacking.

There have been test computer networks before. But most past test networks, run by computer security companies, the government and other academics, are too small and simple to give an accurate picture of how the real Internet might react to unprecedented hacker attacks, the researchers said.

A typical test ground might be a dozen PCs linked together in a simple network.

That's a far cry from the way the Internet really works: An e-mail message or a request for a Web site, for example, passes through a long chain of Internet service providers and many different kinds of hardware before it reaches its destination.

The new test network, called the Cyber Defense Technology Experimental Research Network, or DETER, will contain lots of routers and switches imitating the complexity of the real Net. It won't be nearly as big as the real Internet -- the goal is to eventually hook up 1,000 PCs -- but the researchers hope it will be comparable in behavior.

"When you scale to large types of systems, you often see emergent behavior," said Doug Tygar, a UC-Berkeley computer science professor working on the project. Just as "large groups of people act differently than they do alone, large (complex) networks of computers act differently" from small, simple ones.

The project goes to the heart of what many security experts see as a flaw in today's approach to securing the Internet. The products on the market, such as firewalls and anti-virus software, act as locks and burglar alarms on a building.

Experts say the real problem is that Internet infrastructure and the software that is run on it is insecure. It's as if the building is missing doors, and the walls are full of holes.

With the DETER network, researchers hope to test existing responses to hacker attacks, and maybe find ways to improve the infrastructure itself

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...mininet07.html

Dr_Evil

Hmmm, now that was a good read..
    Me wonders if the dudes who are doing this Hack, what if they decided to be a lil naughty and use there knew found test results onto the Real Internet..
    Then there'd be a bit of caos...!
    Anyhow thanks for the news Dr..
    Anyhow
    Cheers
    Creative

I thought that article was extremely interesting. Can't give you green boxes, so I'll say thanks for posting it.
    My Goodness, My Guinness

Old Fart
    Doc, I gotta ask you this. I see all these posts you make that are nothing but cut and paste jobs of entire articles that you find on the internet. While they can be interesting and informative you don't need to post the entire article...it's a waste of resources (IMHO). How about just giving us a couple of quotes that cover the interesting parts, a link to the article and most importantly SOME ORIGINAL THOUGHTS on what you have posted. Otherwise, it looks like all you are doing is posting news stories to increase your post count...again, a waste of AO resources IMHO.

FYI...in case you didn't see it, I have negged you over this before...and I doubt I have been the only one to do so. Show us that you can THINK as well as read.

PLEASE.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

allenb1963

The reason I cut and paste the entire article is because , if I added the links , the link might not exist for future reference therefore making the thread meaningless.If you look back to old news threads where there are good discussions but the original thread cannot be accesed and therefore making it a waste of resource.

Lets take one of your news threads posted 3 days ago and see how one of you quotes
    cover the interesting parts of the news ?

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=250646

So how does your remark

'I wandered into a black hole and came out in a parallel universe or alternate reality'

relate to M$ puts a price on their heads.

If fact your link on this thread didnt link to the article when I accesed it and therefore makes your thread a waste because we cant read the entire article.

I therefore think that it is stupid of you to neg someone who is contributing when you can pm any ask.So THINK and use some common sense before you post.

Dr_Evil

Old Fart
    ROFL...so your PM to me was a "cut and paste" job too as it reads EXACTLY like the post above....how ironic. As I said in my reply to your message, I see your point and have extended my apologies as well as a promise to make up for the negs. I will, however, tell you this...posting those AP's makes you look like a whiner and you've been around here long enough to know how the community responds to AP whiners.

The PM was sufficient to get your point across, the posting of the negs was not needed as I had already admitted to the world that I negged you....I'm taking your advice, you should take your advice too.

EDIT:
    BTW...the link (to the Reuters article) in the M$ post mentioned above works just fine for me...you must have been holding your mouth the wrong way when you clicked the link. However, the link to that thread of mine you mentioned in the PM and the above post DOESN'T work...but the thread can still be accessed from the microsoft security discussions forum.
    Al

allenb1963,

you have been here longer and you should know better than calling names.I am not a AP whiner.I am merely showing how the message on your neg does not explain anything regarding

'cut and paste' yet you suggested that you negged me for it on your post.The message on your neg was

'dude...chill with the news reports...you should know better. '

and your post said

FYI...in case you didn't see it, I have negged you over this before...and I doubt I have been the only one to do so. Show us that you can THINK as well as read.
    Next time you neg someone please put in the right remarks so that we can discuss about it.Thanks, apologies accepted and you dont have make up for it.

Dr_Evil

Old Fart
    I apologized, and I intend to make good on my promise concerning the AP's. I refuse to get into a flame war over what I consider an attempt to give you advice MEANT TO PROTECT YOU. I didn't say you were a whiner...I've seen enough of your posts to know better but I wanted to get you to see how your post MIGHT be misconstrued by others.
    Al

Thanks dude !

Dr_Evil