Thread: 64 Bit

64 Bit

Alright, I got a quick question I am not exactly sure what the idea behind a 64 bit personal computer and needing a 64 bit OS, would someone here be able to better shed some light on this topic for me. Sorry if this is confusing I don't understand why one needs the other.

Thanks,
    Adiz

AO French Antique News Whore
    Normal Processor thread 32 bits of data per clock cycle! 64 bits mean they can thread 64 bits of data per clock cycle so normally double processor power.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Well almost...
    The OS has to be able to use those extra bits

unlike windows, the 32 bit patch for a 16 bit kludge for the 8 bit operating system by a 2 bit company that doesn't care 1 bit for the end user.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Old Fart
    Imagine playing a version of Tomb Raider where you can't tell the difference between the appearance of Lara Croft and Angelina Jolie. A version where the background looks as real as the world outside your window. The 64 bit address space will make that much of a difference when fully utilized by the gaming companies. Bear in mind that this is but one example...EVERY application stands to benefit from doubling the address space. Read up on the new AMD Opteron processor line for more specific info...Opteron ROCKS due to its ability to run both 32 and 64 bit apps....Intel has really missed the boat on this one.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I screwed up that definition of windows, here's the correct one:

A 32-bit patch for a 16-bit GUI shell running on top of an 8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor by a 2-bit company who cannot stand 1 bit of competition.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

fourdc, you could have edited your post.

The FACT that people ignore FACTS
    doesnt mean that FACTS are not FACTS