Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Telnet Help!!

Question Telnet Help!!

How much attention can you give a telnet port on a machine connected through a small town ISP before anyone notices? And when they do will it do them any good? Just a question, so if you could avoid ethical standpoints that would be great. Thank you.

O %
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Well.... When you come to a site aimed at people with ethics and ask a question but ask us to forget the ethics you are really batting a short wicket aren't you?.......

To answer your question I'll use my work telnet ports which are similar to my home one....

1. Try it
    2. Your connection will be logged by my firewall
    3. Your connection will be logged by your ISP
    4. Your connection will be logged by my ISP
    5. Your connection will be logged by my IDS
    6. Your connection will be simultaneously logged by my IDS to a secure log server
    7. Your connection will be traced
    8. Your ISP will be informed
    9. My logs will be sent to your ISP
    10. Your ISP will cut your internet connection
    11. In a small town you are Fuxxed.......

Any other questions??????
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Why bother with a "small town isp"?
    Why not go for the big time, like Chase Manhattan Bank?

Look, if you spend hours banging on that port, trying to brute
    force a password, you're not much of a threat. They won't have
    to do much about it but read the logs for a good laugh.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Elite Hacker
    Tiger Shark, what is the ip of this telnet server? j/k
    Is that for just opening one connection, or is it if you try many times? Also is it configured to do that to all ip's except the one's you give permission to?

Heretic: It's a "denied" port inbound and allowed outbound from my IP only on both systems..... Yes it's watched and logged.....

The IP is 127.0.0.1......

The difference is I have an entire netblock at work and a single IP at home... That's about all.... I have scripts that pull certain things automatically from my logs, if you become noticable from the results you get on my "list".... It's not good to be on my "list" because you get on the "autoblock" of my firewalls and, frankly, tomorrow I won't remember why.... but you're there and you will stay there..... no matter how much you complain.... <LOL>

I'm a suspicious old fart..... What can I say? I'm "cuddly" when you get to know me.... At least, that's what I'm told..... <barf>
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

The IP is 127.0.0.1
    ...funny, I've tried my finest exploits against that address with no success...
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

RC: You caught me.... I cannot tell a lie.... The IP is 192.168.1.1....

Sorry for fibbing......

thank you all

Thank you all! AO is great.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    The difference is I have an entire netblock at work and a single IP at home... That's about all.... I have scripts that pull certain things automatically from my logs, if you become noticable from the results you get on my "list".... It's not good to be on my "list" because you get on the "autoblock" of my firewalls and, frankly, tomorrow I won't remember why.... but you're there and you will stay there..... no matter how much you complain....
    Tigershark what operating system(s) are you currently using to get your system setup like that? I wanna make a "list" sounds pretty cool only promblem is I cant code any advice? Thanks ComputerNerd22