Wireless conections
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless conections

Wireless conections

if u use a wireless connection do u use a firewall and a password

Well, I'd highly recommend that you do use a firewall, along with a VPN connection from your machine to the wired end of the connection.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Like pwaring said, a firewall is recommended. Some wifi routers come with hardware firewalls already on them, but an application firewall on all computers on the network is always great. And in most cases that ive seen you need a password to join in on a wireless network if you set it up that way, it all comes back to how the user configures it to their desire.

Banned
    Ok...

I believe this is where I come in.

Ok...

Yes you do need a password.

Now let me explain more in my case. I use a Wireless Card a Pc3220 (Over Paid for the POS)
    but I connect through. A company which happens to be Verizon. (Expensive Bastards)

Now with my service you can not connect to there Network without a password. Now I believe from a little playing around that I did. (Don't ask how.)

That there are 2 passwords one on your own system that you have to do and another one at there Tower that verifies that you are qualified to use there Tower.

Now on the Firewall side that is actually on your side they provide Jack... I don't know just what type of connection you have but I am not sure just where your getting your single and everything from. Though I would recommend that you use a Firewall. Duh...

If you need to know anything else about this or Wireless let me know this is where I am (TRYING) to play around in.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I would suggest that, since you will not be forewalled by the Access Point from another wireless machine you need a firewall..... ZoneAlarm would be fine
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I would suggest treating all of your machines on the wirless network as being on a hostile network. That means firewalls and host based IDS's on all of the machines on the wireless lan. That is just how I treat my WLAN, and I suggest you treat yours the same way.
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563

If you are trying to secure a wireless connection, I strongly suggest you enable WEP, A password protected proxy/gateway/access-point, and definately, if nothing else use a VPN to do all of this. With a VPN, all of your traffic is encrypted, so even when you WEP gets cracked (eventually it will, too many tools to prevent this Kismet does it well) , they still can't sniff the goods as you'll be on the inside of a securely encrypted VPN connection. And the would be intruder will just be wondering why he can't do crap.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Im talking like wi-fi

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I know..... Firewall yourself.... period!!!!
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by michael737n
    Im talking like wi-fi
    Wifi is just a general name for the 802.11x standards (i.e. wireless networking).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.